FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Jessy2363
Hi
I tried TC for the first time last night. No idea if it will work or not. I'm a beginner obviously.
Anyway, What is the point of inducing a callus?? I know it's a bunch of cells that have no idea what to do with themselves. But is there any point to making a callus? Can I tell it what to do later on with PGR? why do people make calluses? Is there any point to it? Google isn't helping me in this instance. Can someone please enlighten me.

Thank heaps
Jessy
By Matt
Jessy2363 wrote:Anyway, What is the point of inducing a callus?? I know it's a bunch of cells that have no idea what to do with themselves. But is there any point to making a callus?
For many species of plants, if callus isn't induced, the tissue will not grow into plants. Thus, the first step is to get callus to start.
Jessy2363 wrote:Can I tell it what to do later on with PGR?
Yes. PGRs can control what the plant material does from growing a lot of shoots, to rooting, to growing large, etc.
By Jessy2363
Thanks Matt

Do you know where to find this information? Like is there a book on it? I've followed a couple of micropropagation recipes I found in little snippets here and there all over google for various plants but none are aimed at inducing callus. They seem to be skipping straight into multiplication. Why would some plants need callus to be induced in order to do something? Is this a different type of tissue culturing?
By Matt
Jessy2363 wrote:Do you know where to find this information? Like is there a book on it?
I can't recall now where I learned all of this, as it was 10+ years ago when I read it. I know I learned a lot from this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Plants-Test-Tube ... 1604692065
Jessy2363 wrote:Why would some plants need callus to be induced in order to do something?
There is a lot of tissue that can go into jars that will never grow into plants. Inducing callus will usually allow for tissue to grow into plants.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!