FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By renesis
Hey Everyone, just got back home after University, exams done!

Unfortunately, looks like my Mom missed a watering or three, and a bunch of my VFTs dried up. The ones planted in LFS are goners, and I've chucked them. The pic is of some planted in peat/sand/perlite. Cultivars are pink venus, red piranha, and cross tooth. Unfortunately, the pullings I took of these plants was also in the same pot- so these are the last I have...

I was wondering if these are at all salvageable, and what I should do. After rehydration, it seems the center's of the pink venus, and red pirahna perked up slightly and is alive, the cross tooth hasn't done much though. Still some white rhizome on all three. My question is, what do I do with them?

I was thinking:

1 - Chop the tops off, wrap the rhizome/roots in paper towel and put them into the fridge- hope for the best in Spring.
2 - Leave as-is and hope they grow a bit? They should have entered dormancy, were kept on a cold window-sill.
3 - Other ideas?

Thanks guys, hoping to give these the best chance of recovery.

p.s - The terrarium didn't fare too great either :(

By Matt
Ouch! Yeah, those plants might be a bit too far gone. I think the thing that I would try to do to save them is dig them all up, and soak them in distilled water for a couple of hours. Once they've rehydrated, see if there's any tissue that isn't mush and peel all the dead tissue away from it and pot it up. Then put it under lights and see if it takes.

So sorry for you loss...that's really sad.
By renesis

I liked your plan much better than my own, after thinking about it, refrigerator would probably hurt them more going from a water deprived, to hydrated, to cold and dark.

I cut off all the bad parts after soaking them in dH2O for an hour, from left to right, Red Piranha, Cross Tooth, and Pink Venus. The rhizomes of the Red Piranha and Pink Venus look healthy-ish, and probably have the best chances of making it. I planted them into my (now watered) terrarium, hoping for the best!
By Steve_D
I would plant all three. Even the one in the middle (in the photo) may put out new growth. The other two almost certainly will. They'll be fine with a little time and care. :)
By Aging_Bourbon
Steve says it all man. *whispers* he's like a god! but that's just awful when that happens. Hope they'll make it man.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!