FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Hello,

Over the years, I've had some difficulty with Venus Flytraps and heat. It seemed that no matter where I would place them, they'd always burn up a bit and leave a lot to desire. My plants' traps would rarely get as big as 1" despite most of which being mature specimens. They grew fine, but not as big or breathtaking as other people have gotten them with essentially identical care. It seemed to clash with what was common knowledge that more sun = healthier and bigger plants.

As it turns out, I believe that my zone 9b Californian summers simply created too much heat for venus flytraps to live ideally. So I decided that if I could sacrifice some sun for cooler temperatures, I could get healthier plants.

Here's my setup, some pvc pipe and 40% shade cloth reducing all mid to late afternoon sun.
6-30-20 (1) forum version .jpg
6-30-20 (1) forum version .jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 3059 times
Overall, I think it's working. My plants haven't shown any ugly burns and their traps are consistently bigger.
6-30-20 (2).JPG
6-30-20 (2).JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 3059 times
6-15-20.JPG
6-15-20.JPG (2.59 MiB) Viewed 3059 times
schmeg, MikeB, Matt liked this
By MikeB
In the wild, Venus flytraps usually have grasses and other plants scattered around them. By mid-afternoon, they get dappled sun through their neighbors. Your shade cloth does a good job of emulating that.
By Matt
Well done! Yes, in the warmer climates and anytime the temperature is above 90F it is best to protect flytraps from the mid-day sun. Glad you have figured out a good solution and that your Venus flytraps look so good this year!!

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!