FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By FunkeePanda
Just out of curiosity do different types of grow lights effect VFT Growth rates? Asking because Home Depot had two growlights from the same brand. Each claiming to have different effects on my plants growth. :?
By Matt
Yes, the color temperature of the light determines what sort of growth plants have. In early spring and summer, the light is more predominantly "blue" and more "red" in the fall and winter. The different wavelengths of light stimulate different types of growth in plants.

I don't do any VFT indoor growing outside of a few months of hardening plants out of tissue culture, so I've not really experimented with grow lights at different wavelengths. I simply use the "cool white" bulbs which I believe are essentially blue light spectrum which for flytraps stimulates vegetative growth.

This article has more information here:
https://gardeningproductsreview.com/indoor-grow-lights/

It states:
Red light stimulates vegetative growth and flowering (but if a plant gets too much, it will become tall and spindly). Blue light regulates plant growth, which makes it ideal for growing foliage plants and short, stocky seedlings (but too much will result in stunted plants).
I don't know if those statements are a general rule of thumb or not, but I've grown flytraps under only blue lighting and they do well for a few months. I also have a high-output T5 fixture that initially had a mixture of 2 x red and 2 x blue bulbs. Plants did very well under that one too.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to our[…]

Help with care for my VFT

The plant is in decline due to lack of light. It w[…]

How much water is too much water?

HOW MUCH WATER IS TOO MUCH WATER? Jr_overwatered_[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

So is morning sun better than afternoon sun? I h[…]

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Triton

Amazing as always, wish it had color though ;)

GJ Goliath

Let’s try this again.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!