FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
This afternoon, I finally got around to repotting a Grün that was unhappy about its old soil. The original plant had produced multiple offshoots, and they lacked the usual Grün enthusiasm for growth. After I peeled away the soil and moss, I was surprised by the sheer number of plants: 16 large ones and 11 small ones, all crammed into a 4-inch / 10-centimeter square pot! I filled another 1020 tray with them, and I still have one more 4-inch pot of Grüns to divide and pot.
By Big-Jack
I'm always surprised at how many divisions I end up with when I repot in the spring.
By ChefDean
MikeB wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:41 pm This afternoon, I finally got around to repotting a Grün that was unhappy about its old soil. The original plant had produced multiple offshoots, and they lacked the usual Grün enthusiasm for growth. After I peeled away the soil and moss, I was surprised by the sheer number of plants: 16 large ones and 11 small ones, all crammed into a 4-inch / 10-centimeter square pot! I filled another 1020 tray with them, and I still have one more 4-inch pot of Grüns to divide and pot.
I've heard it said that Grün can be be productive, but yours must be on them dang ol' steroids. Nice.
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:12 pmPardon my ignorance. What is Grün?
German for "green". That's where this flytrap cultivar hails from. It has large traps and usually shows no trace of red. Rather than call it something fanciful, the grower simply called it Grün.
By MikeB
ChefDean wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:45 amI've heard it said that Grün can be be productive, but yours must be on them dang ol' steroids. Nice.
It was a combination of Grün productivity and stalled growth due to the "sour" soil. My other flytraps in this boat also produce a bunch of offshoots, but they're small with short petioles and tiny traps. My two Grün plants are not so easily restrained. Even under these conditions, they still produced traps in the 0.75-1 inch / 15-25 mm range, and they bloomed (the flower stalks were 2/3 normal height and had half the usual number of flowers). I clipped the flower stalks yesterday.

Now that the plants are in fresh soil, I expect them to bounce back in 4-6 weeks. A healthy Grün flytrap is a sight to behold, and I'm going to be overrun with them.
ChefDean liked this
By MikeB
I divided my Grün pot #2 today: 11 large plants and 19 small ones. All told, 2 pots of plants produced 27 large flytraps and 30 small ones. I'm going to have a jungle of big, green traps after these plants rebound!
ChefDean, tommyr liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!