FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
twitcher wrote:Seriously, if you grow cp's you should at least check out litchi tomato. They are tasty, if you can work up the courage to try them. :o Not a true tomato though. Can't grow indoors unless a greenhouse. I once started a number of litchi plants indoors one time, and had bought some cheap potting soil. The soil was contaminated by a small black fly of some type, might have been fungus gnats. Had hundreds flying around for a couple of days. Anyway the plants were about 8" tall when I came home one day and found all the gnats dead on the stems of the litchi tomato plants. Don't know why and now wondering if it might have been some form of protocarnivorous or just self-protection. No dead on the other plants, just the litchi.
My dad used to have litchi all the time when he was stationed in Thailand. Fresh from the plant. He jokingly calls them hairy grapes because the flesh tastes like grapes but have those hairy nodules on their outer shell.
By twitcher
Litchi are not the same as litchi tomatoes. Litchi tomatoes are a species of solanum, I believe. Litchi, the fruit, grow on trees. From time to time I can get fresh litchi in the US. Not my favorite fruit, but not bad. However, I never thought they tasted like grapes. :P Always thought they tasted like,..., um, like "litchi". Fruit(litchi) looks like rambutan, ha ha, but a bit smaller, which I can also sometimes get at Walmart!
By Copper2
Litchi tomato are sooo spiky. Mine flowered but never set fruit for whatever reason. I think they need a bit of space to feel comfortable.

I’ll try and find a photo of the ants on the stems
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!