FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Zach Ledy
Hello everyone! Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that Venus Flytraps need to be fed twice a day. I believe that is quite excessive, considering that it takes about 3-5 days for the traps to reopen. How could it be possible to feed the plant twice in one day? I am curious about how much I should be feeding it though. The flytrapcare website says I should feed my VFT twice a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much to feed a VFT?
By Shadowtski
Unless you're trying to breed a FrankenPlant, just let the plant catch its own.
If at all possible, move your flytrap outside.
Acclimate it to full sun if you don't want to scorch the existing leaves and traps.
You'll be surprised how well it does out of doors.

If you're growing them in a sterile bug- free environment, they would probably appreciate a fly every two to four weeks.

Just my 02¢ worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Zach Ledy liked this
By crazy_carnivores
Shadowtski wrote:Unless you're trying to breed a FrankenPlant, just let the plant catch its own.
If at all possible, move your flytrap outside.
Acclimate it to full sun if you don't want to scorch the existing leaves and traps.
You'll be surprised how well it does out of doors.

If you're growing them in a sterile bug- free environment, they would probably appreciate a fly every two to four weeks.

Just my 02¢ worth.

Good growing,
Mike
yep, outside they are monsters! in my greenhouse, almost all the traps are full!
Zach Ledy liked this
By Joeynator3000
I guess I really am in a crappy spot, because my flytrap can't grab anything. Only outside option is right next to the front door where it can only get direct morning sun and shade rest of the day. It never catches anything unless I feed it myself. :/
Zach Ledy liked this
By Zach Ledy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It is probably best to let the plant catch bugs on its own. Sometime it feels like a little pet though. :D
By MikeB
Zach Ledy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 amYesterday, a friend of mine told me that Venus Flytraps need to be fed twice a day.
Perhaps they meant to say "twice a month"? That's more like it.
Zach Ledy liked this
By Joeynator3000
Zach Ledy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It is probably best to let the plant catch bugs on its own. Sometime it feels like a little pet though. :D
Honestly, something I didn't really know about until recently, flytraps can live with just light and water. Insects are basically fertilizer for them, it is fun feeding them though, I do think it helps with giving them bigger traps and all that.
Zach Ledy, Matt liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!