FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Antiguy1994
I am new to venus flytraps and wondering what is the best pot for and adult venus flytrap? I bought one off Amazon linked below and been looking for a great plastic plant pot with drainage holes that arent those self watering ones that take so much effort to take off and put back on the bottom tray.

I bought one from target linked below and some peat moss and perlite mix but I feel the pot sucks the more I think about it. I am having it indoors I know the overall basics to taking care of it but just need good pot ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q1UH0UG/re ... MEb1ERGZT8

https://www.target.com/p/8-self-waterin ... lsrc=aw.ds
By Benny
Self watering pots do not provide enough water for CPs.

I recently upgraded all my flytraps to this: https://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Party-Plas ... lp_pl_dp_1

Now my flytraps are ready to "party on"!

If you want one more disguised, and doesn't stand out, then I would either look into the FlytrapStore pots, or just browse amazon. The pot you have is OK because the plant isn't that developed and large, but you will want an upgrade in the next couple months (I got the same plant).
By Antiguy1994
I ideally want a thick plastic plant pot that has drainage holes but a drain pan or saucer included. The issue is I can't seem to find a plastic version of this that isn't a self watering one. They all seem to be clay or ceramic. I don't want a thin plastic cup or styrofoam because I got a cat and he knock that crap over. Like to put my venus flytraps pot on top of my fridge instead of the stuff currently on it in the picture below and have the blinds opened to give it sunlight. Look at this little crap on the counter.
Attachments:
15872596819554287985908386916410.jpg
15872596819554287985908386916410.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 7269 times
By Matt
Welcome to FlytrapCare!
Antiguy1994 wrote:I am having it indoors I know the overall basics to taking care of it but just need good pot ideas.
Venus flytraps are not suitable for growing indoors, so you might want to rethink your growing location.
By Antiguy1994
I live in Illinois this apartment has flys in it all the time I am plan on hand feeding it the thermostat is currently set to 70 degrees F. I can make it higher if needed. I saw its possible to have them indoors. I don't get your point please explain.
By Benny
This was explained literally yesterday, by Matt:

"Any problems that are seen growing carnivorous plants in general happen much more frequently when growing indoors. Algae, mold, crown rot, pests and other nasties with such frequency that it is hard to keep plants healthy in the long term.

Lack of sufficient light is another issue. Even with a very nice artificial lighting system, the carnivorous plants that prefer lots of sunlight (like flytraps) are never as healthy as they would be with natural sunlight. The fact that they are weaker than they would be if grown outdoors also means that they are more susceptible to whatever pest or disease takes hold.

Simplify things and just grow outdoors! Flytraps are super easy to grow outdoors -- not so much indoors."

'My apartment has lots of flies' is not a reason to risk the health of your plant I would take Matt's advice and give yourself a happier plant I just put mine outside and after a week the traps are turning a beautiful maroon color.

Many sources say they are house plant, but if you are wanting to grow them for more than a year, then put them outside please.
Matt liked this
By Antiguy1994
Then what would be a better bug killing plant to have indoors would a pitcher plant be better? I want to not use sprays because of my cat and figured that venus flytraps would be perfect I have some areas I could place it outside my apartment.
By Antiguy1994
Benny wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 pm This was explained literally yesterday, by Matt:

Many sources say they are house plant, but if you are wanting to grow them for more than a year, then put them outside please.
Are there any carnivorous plants that are able to be indoors plants? I saw Asian pitcher plants maybe work.
By Antiguy1994
Matt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm Welcome to FlytrapCare!
Antiguy1994 wrote:I am having it indoors I know the overall basics to taking care of it but just need good pot ideas.
Venus flytraps are not suitable for growing indoors, so you might want to rethink your growing location.
I have a section by my appartment that small that has concrete floor and is shaded by the roof but has indirect sunlight. I could put a small planting table or stand there and place them there. I was wondering if you know there is a better option for a carnivorous plant I can use indoors instead of the vfts? I saw Asian pitcher plants can live indoors with good sunlight.
By Benny
Nepenthe or tropical pitcher plants will typically do great indoors. I have heard butterworts (pinguiculas) also do fairly well. Sundew do okayish but some may end up with the same fate as flytraps.

Your lighting outdoors is not sufficient for venus flytraps. They need 4 hrs direct sunlight minimum. But the plants described above do better in low light areas (sundews may need a little more).
Matt liked this
By Matt
Benny wrote:Nepenthe or tropical pitcher plants will typically do great indoors. I have heard butterworts (pinguiculas) also do fairly well. Sundew do okayish but some may end up with the same fate as flytraps.
Those would be my suggestions as well. Nepenthes and butterworts can do well in lower lighting. Some species of sundews as well. Sarracenia and flytraps really must be grown outdoors.
By Antiguy1994
Matt wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:50 pm
Benny wrote:Nepenthe or tropical pitcher plants will typically do great indoors. I have heard butterworts (pinguiculas) also do fairly well. Sundew do okayish but some may end up with the same fate as flytraps.
Those would be my suggestions as well. Nepenthes and butterworts can do well in lower lighting. Some species of sundews as well. Sarracenia and flytraps really must be grown outdoors.
Question I did more looking on the internet and they say purple pitcher plants aka sarracenia purpurea do the best of the pitcher plants species indoors is this true and just one of the few sarracenia that can do this or is the Asian pitcher plant or nepenthes species do even better?
By Benny
Yes, sarracenia purpurea (purple pitcher plant) does the best of the North American pitcher plants indoors. But it still will get issues. They require less sunlight and that is why people say they do best.

I would still stick with nepenthes. You will have a much happier plant.
Matt liked this
Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Question about flytraps

Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off th[…]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!