FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By archimago
We started getting pretty decent freezes this week. I had my flytraps in a rather large pot and nowhere to keep it.
I was planning on building a coldframe, but haven't had time. I opted for transplanting my collection into 5 plastic cups that would fit in a windowsill. I know this isn't the optimal time to be transplanting, but I was very careful not to disturb the root systems, and moved the soil along with them to avoid any shock.

I will want to come up with a better solution for next year. Does anyone have any experience with using a coldframe during the winter?
By Bud
It appears you want to over-winter your plants in a coldframe. I have built several so I can share my experiences. I live in the Chicago area in Zone 5. I have built a 4x6 coldframe for plants to help start them off early for a new spring season, however would not trust it to overwinter plants in my area as temps can get quite cold. This does help greatly for my purposes of giving them an early start; but I do have to watch during the sunnier days as temps in the coldframe can get quite hot and kill your plants. I acquired a special greenhouse thermostat which will turn on a exhaust fan when temps get too high. My other Coldframe is a biggie about 14 X8, I built this for my Koi Pond , I can tell you that recently the outside temps went down to Zero and my water temps stayed at 40, this is aided by a small amount of warm air from a small air pump I have in my home which aerates the water. I have been very happy with this. I have not checked the average air temps in the koi Coldframe , I plan too, if they mostly stay above freezing and dont swing too much, I may move my plants in there on the ledges of the pond. I have a lot of plants and tired of tripping over them as they are spending their dormancy in the garage. I hope some of this gives you ideas. PVC is great for building coldframes.

Good luck & good growing
Attachments:
Koi Coldframe
Koi Coldframe
koiframe.jpg (33.63 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

Yea i did move it from my room with artificial lig[…]

Cultivar: Fractal Teeth

Does anyone have a way to reach out to Bananaman p[…]

Cape Sundew Root Cuttings

You could just lay them on the surface, but I typi[…]

Greetings from Norway

Welcome

I need help with my vft

It looks like you cleaned it up well. There should[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!