FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idwaneo
Hello, I will soon get some seeds and planing to sow them in a pot outside. It will stay sitting in water for the media to stay always wet and seeds to not dry out. But will they survive from the sun? Or they will get toasted?
By Matt
sanguinearocks101 wrote:I'd keep them out of the sun until they are a year or two old.
I agree. Baby flytraps are easily burned and killed in full sun. Best to grow them under 50% shade cloth if putting them out in the full sun. Otherwise, they do good on the second shelf in a greenhouse or in dappled sunlight under a shade tree for the first year or so of life.
By idwaneo
Even if they are from leaf cuttings 4 months old? Will they die if staying in a south facing open balcony?

Also live sphagnum moss will it burn if in full sun or it will do ok? How do I know if moss is burned?
By Matt
idwaneo wrote:Even if they are from leaf cuttings 4 months old? Will they die if staying in a south facing open balcony?
Leaf cuttings are very different from baby flytraps started from seed. Typically leaf cuttings will quickly grow into a mature plant. Seedlings stay very small for many months and can easily burn. I wouldn't hesitate to put a leaf-cutting out in full sun, but would never suggest doing the same for baby flytraps.

idwaneo wrote:Also live sphagnum moss will it burn if in full sun or it will do ok? How do I know if moss is burned?
It will typically brown at the tips of the moss if put in full sun. The browning of the tips is an indication that it is "burning" (i.e. receiving more sun than it likes).
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!