FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By nimbulan
There shouldn't be any issues with any type of 3d printing filaments and plants. Plenty of people have used 3d printed pots made with ABS, PLA, and even some less common types of plastics.
By mcgrumpers
I've never used 3D printed pots but I suspect you may run into a few minor issues if you're going to be watering with the tray method. First, 3D prints have tiny cracks and spaces because their surface isn't smooth, and bacteria/algae/crud may tend to build up in them because they trap water. Second, 3D prints aren't typically water proof, so bacteria/algae/crud may tend to build up inside the pot (I'm assuming you won't be using a 100% infill). Third, PLA may or may not break down when submerged in water: https://www.3ders.org/articles/20160306 ... l-pla.html

All above concerns are speculative. As an experiment, you could start printing pots without any precautions... just make sure to include drainage holes in your design as opposed to drilling them out later. If you want to be more cautious, look up techniques for making 3D prints water proof. You could even apply a coat of paint onto the print, but you'd have to make sure that the paint you use doesn't leech minerals.
By DesertPat
You may try using this stuff to coat the printed pots. I've not used it for that particular application yet but I have thought about it quite a bit. Let me know if you decide to try it!

Patrick
By sanguinearocks101
mcgrumpers wrote:I've never used 3D printed pots but I suspect you may run into a few minor issues if you're going to be watering with the tray method. First, 3D prints have tiny cracks and spaces because their surface isn't smooth, and bacteria/algae/crud may tend to build up in them because they trap water. Second, 3D prints aren't typically water proof, so bacteria/algae/crud may tend to build up inside the pot (I'm assuming you won't be using a 100% infill). Third, PLA may or may not break down when submerged in water: https://www.3ders.org/articles/20160306 ... l-pla.html

All above concerns are speculative. As an experiment, you could start printing pots without any precautions... just make sure to include drainage holes in your design as opposed to drilling them out later. If you want to be more cautious, look up techniques for making 3D prints water proof. You could even apply a coat of paint onto the print, but you'd have to make sure that the paint you use doesn't leech minerals.
I don't water using the tray method. I only have 5 plants so I can top water them.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!