FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ExTek
Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to flytraps and carnivorous plants in general. I made a post a few months ago about my flytraps and I have since gotten more, and also acclimated them to be outside rather than indoors under a grow light.

Right now in Virginia, it's been pretty hot. I have kept the pots in bowls of water just so they don't dry out too much. I also have used Scott's DiseaseEX a few times to see if it would boost any growth.

I have noticed within the past week that a lot of them are starting to blacken, but I've also noticed a few new smaller ones coming in.
Additionally, I have made a swing at pitcher plants, although I'm sure they are not doing too well. I saw tiny bugs on them earlier, what pesticides would you guys suggest?

Any criticism is welcome, I really want these to grow!
Attachments:
My pitcher... only 1 of the 3 heads are alive.
My pitcher... only 1 of the 3 heads are alive.
image0 (4).jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
image0 (3).jpg
image0 (3).jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
image0 (2).jpg
image0 (2).jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
image0 (1).jpg
image0 (1).jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 2195 times
By optique
Only criticism I can think of is that black pot and trey, I bet you could boil a egg in that water on a clear day. But is going too start cooling off soon worry about it next year.
By ExTek
That's a very valid point, I didn't think about that. When I first got them, I was intending to keep them indoors only. But I have seen a massive boost in growth when I put them outside but didn't think about the pot. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely get one soon.
By Ping
I've never planted in anything besides black pots and never had an issue in the Florida sunshine. Just remember to never let your trays dry up. Only thing I'd change is the media. For VFT and Sarracenia I've never been a fan of LFS; 50/50 peat and perlite!
By optique
They are outside plants for sure. Remember they are native to the Carolina's, that means hot summers, cold winters, and hurricanes. Not a tropical house plant. =p
By Fieldofscreams
Your plants are doing fine, the "issues" you see are just the plants adjusting. Next spring is when you will most likely see them become completely different plants. It takes time.

I second the pot not being optimal. It will force you to have the plants standing in water 24/7. Even though the plants will still grow this way you won't get as much out of the plants as you could.

But I would wait till spring at this point.
By ExTek
Yes, I do notice they stay wet pretty often, and I was thinking about switching to an orchid pot from Amazon. It's very hard to dry it out sometimes.

I just got a new flytrap species that has red mouths. It was a Walmart $5 bargain so I couldn't pass it up. Might just go ahead and buy a few pots that allow more drainage and transplant them all.
By Fieldofscreams
I wouldn't bother the plants at this point. Best to just leave them alone until spring.

In the meantime keep your eyes out for white pots, they can be as simple as white stadium cups.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Kenneth
ExTek; Scott’s DiseaseEX. Do you watch Liguus videos? I know he made a video about it and he is the only one I remember to even use Scott’s DiseaseEX on YouTube. He makes good CP content and his care guides are spot on.

Your fly traps look great and seem to be adjusting accordingly, hope this next decade brings you lots of new growth and fun!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!