FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By yy04
Hello! I just bought my vft two days ago from Jumbo and i don’t know how it is doing...the leaves seem droopy and a few traps are turning yellow(i’ve already cut off two yellow turning black traps from the neck)some of the little traps that looks like they’re new are turning yellow-and-white-ish,so i don’t think that’s normal:(

I’m using the soil from the pot i bought it with,it might be peat moss or normal potting soil, I can’t really tell the difference.

I’ve put it outdoors on the balcony and it caught one fly yesterday. It’s been in the sun the whole day the day i bought it, same for the next day and today it’s been a bit cloudy and windy so it’s wasn’t getting much sunlight in the afternoon.

And because it haven’t rained this week, so i tried watering it with the water i used for my devil’s Ivy, it was tap water, but my devil’s ivy has been in there for about 2 months now, i guess the minerals and nutritions should be absorbed already, but i’m not entirely sure...has anyone tried this method before?

(The TDS for my tap water is 14 french degrees which is 140ppm if i did it right.)

If it’s the problem with the soil i can buy a new mix probably this weekend,if it’s urgent maybe tomorrow. But is it safe to repot it in autumn? It’s September and i live in Geneva, so the temperature is around 5-20 degrees these days.

I’ll put a photo of it in the attachments!
Attachments:
the soil looks saturated because i just watered it
the soil looks saturated because i just watered it
9B28882C-939C-44F1-9ED7-E1B232DACEEE.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2269 times
By Big-Jack
Looks like it is still adjusting to the sun and a little faded, otherwise healthy. I would not repot it in autumn. Wait until early spring.

Looks like straight peat which can cause root/rhizome rot over time from being too dense and water retentive. Use 50% peat 50% sand/perlite when you repot so the soil can breathe.
By Jayden
you should water with distilled water or rain water only
By optique
140ppm water is way to high.

It could be adjusting to new environment, if it was with out sun for a long time you would have re accumulate it back to fun sun. if its has already been out in full sun for 2 days just leave it damage is done.

I would test the soil by pouring water on top seeing how fast it drains before you repot. it really takes a toll if repotted why in active growing season.

I wait till leaves are crispy and black the plant will slowly reabsorb the energy from dying growth. yeah its ugly but its how it happens in the wild.
By steve booth
I wouldn't keep moving it outside to inside either, as it cant acclimate to conditions that vary that quickly.

Cheers
Steve

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!