FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello flytrapcare community!!

I want to make sure i'm going to do the right thing when getting VFT seeds from the flytrapstore!=D

1 step: i will use a 12 inch bucket, i will fill it to the top with a mix of silica sand, and peat moss.

2 step: i will try tissue culture in some seeds( i know they're fresh is just for trying), other i will put them directly, and i will try the water method, from adam(i think that's his name).

3 step: because i want to keep record on how many seeds germinate, i will use toothpicks with a number on each, so i can see which seeds germinated, i will place every individual seed in the 12 inch bucket with the toothpick #.

4 step: the peat moss is going to be really wet, and everyday i will use a spray thing with rain water to make sure the humidity stays high, i will keep it in a warm place, and also i will give it indirect sunlight from the afternoon, but only about 30 minutes each day(it enters through my window)( does anyone recommend more time?(temp here is rising to 95F everyday, in the afternoon), i will use a small fan that works only with a small solar panel, so that new air can flow!!;D (and to conserve energy with the solar panel) so i will use it only in the afternoon the 30 mins.), i don't usually put the air conditioner on, so that will help because is always warm inside, and outside in my balcony, to help them germinate fastar.

5 step: when most of them germinate i will still spray them for about 15 days, then i will start reducing a little bit of water, but still giving it a lot of humidy(that's just to reduce the chance of root rot from the small seedlings), then i will start by giving them about 45 minutes of indirect sunlgiht, then 50, 1 hour......etc for another 15 days, then i will start with direct sunlight, but only the morning sunlight, i will give them 45, then 50,1 hour...etc, for about 5 days, then i will give them direct sunlight from 7am-12pm(is this ok?).

That's pretty much my plan, if you want to give me any recommendation please tell me, i want to improve my method, or even trying a better method.

Thanks!!!! Can't wait to have some VFT seeds in my hands :mrgreen: !!!=D
By Veronis
If you're going to saran wrap the pot (put lots of toothpick-sized holes in the saran), putting it in direct sunlight could cook the seeds very quickly - even 30 minutes mid-day. Seeds don't need a ton of light, but I'd give them more than 30 minutes and be sure they are not wrapped/covered while in direct sunlight.

Once I have about 50% germination, I remove any humidity domes or saran I've used, and then put them in their permanent living space (e.g. leave it on the windowsill uncovered), but continue to give them a couple humidity sprays per day for several weeks following germination. Also, carefully top-water occasionally to oxygenate the soil; I know it may feel risky, but if you do not, they'll start to decline about 2-3 months in from having never had any "rain".

I've used a fan to blow overtop of the saran wrap holes for 30 minutes at a time, twice a day (to cycle air in their "saran wrap humidity dome"), and have had what I perceive to be very good results with that. With my method, across a 12 inch pot I'd probably have about 25 or so tiny holes poked with a toothpick.

Remember that in nature the seedlings will get much more sun than what you are planning; your best results will come from emulating their germinating in nature to the best of your ability. Keep that in mind throughout the process.
Adam wrote:Also, try my sterile sealed jar method :) it has been the best method for me so far.
I actually have this discussion bookmarked: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/steve ... t3764.html

Adam replied to the topic several times with additional details on how he did it, so be sure to scroll through the whole thread. I'm going to do this with my next batch of seeds.

Good luck. :)
Veronis, Veronis liked this
By kevinqwe
when you germinate will the water method, you probably only need like less than a cm of water. also it would help if you put plastic wrap over what ever you are using: bowl, cup, etc. i think 30 mins is too little. since it is indirect, it is less intense. what i did was that i taped a piece of paper to the window and let it shade the seeds. Mine germinated in about 5-6 days!
kevinqwe liked this
By jht-union
Thank you Veronis & Kevinqwe, i think you're right Veronis, i will give them 2 hours of direct sunlight, morning direct sunlight( is that enough, or definitely more time?) that would be just for germination,when they germinate, i will give the seedlings sunlight from 7am-12pm, is that good for seedlings?

Kevinqwe, i will use direct sunlight but the morning sunlight?, with this method, how many hours of direct sunlight should i give them?

Thanks to both of you!
By kevinqwe
jht-union wrote:
Kevinqwe, i will use direct sunlight but the morning sunlight?, with this method, how many hours of direct sunlight should i give them?
as much as you want. maybe 1-3 hrs. that might even be too much
kevinqwe liked this
By Moshelly1
Hi there I am also growing from seeds trying 2 different methods of growing, first is with wet peat moss and the second is with wet tissue, it's 6 days and roots are starting to grow, I'm curious as to how long it takes to grow first leaf or trap from time when first root appears till first leaf or trap?
Darkened leaves

It is a combination of too much water, and also sh[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

It's been a bit since I have added anything new to[…]

Spagnum moss turning green

Looks like algae, and that is normal.

That’s a really good option to have thank[…]

SASE put in mail!

Seeds is a gray area. This statement was cop[…]

I'm assuming you mean bonus Nepenthes? Order rece[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1660. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!