FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hello everyone!

Recently I have noticed all of these TINY red specks on the back of my flytraps... I attached a picture so you guys can have a better idea of what im talking about. Please note that in the picture that you are not going to be able to see the red specks that I am talking about because I cannot zoom in close enough... However I did circle the parts where I am noticing all of the red specks so HOPEFULLY it will give a better idea of what I am talking about... I have also found these red specks on some of my other flytraps but does not seem to be harming them... I have been looking through other posts in the forum trying to find out what this could be... Im thinking it possibly could be mites or some type of pest, or something that flytraps do that I dont know about, idk lol... :?

For pests I do have BioAdvanced 3-1 Insect, Disease, and Mite Control that I have used in the past and it seemed to work pretty decent on flytraps. I have also used the method of putting the entire flytrap underwater to drown any pests which also seemed to work. But honestly im not quite sure what all of these red specks are and it is really worrying me... I have tried scrapping them off with my fingernail but didnt seem to work, and I do not see anything moving soo trying to figure this out...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments:
62485855_438395966893270_2874309255421231104_n.jpg
62485855_438395966893270_2874309255421231104_n.jpg (294.85 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
By frankgrimes087
Fieldofscreams wrote:Impossible to see in the pics.

I use Avid from FTS for mites. Imo it's the only solution to mites.
Ya.. I know the pic TOTALLY sucks... I really need a new camera... Thats why from what I tried explaining, and circling where I am noticing the red specks the hopefully someone might still know whats going on even with a terrible pic... but it might be impossible to tell without a good pic. But thanks for your response fieldofscreams appreciate it!
By frankgrimes087
Fieldofscreams wrote:Do they move fast or slow?

I don't play games with mites. I have somewhat of a large collection of plants and the amount of Avid you get from FTS will last me years.
Every time I have looked I never saw any of the red specks move which is weird but I honestly havent. So that is why I am wondering if it is something natural the flytraps do but have no idea. I will have to look into Avid would be nice to have just in case.
By dewyray
Maybe invest in a clip-on magnifier for phone cameras. I use one for just this sort of thing. And to examine tiny seedlings. You'd be able to instantly tell exactly what the red specks are!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
By frankgrimes087
dewyray wrote:Maybe invest in a clip-on magnifier for phone cameras. I use one for just this sort of thing. And to examine tiny seedlings. You'd be able to instantly tell exactly what the red specks are!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Good idea dewyray! Thanks for the suggestion! 8-)
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!