FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Starchy
So, I am trying to multi-task with my VFT and feed it while killing off some dormancy-traps. I found a large stink bug in my house and figured that would do the trick. I fed it to my largest trap, and the trap almost immediately started to decay and turn a yellowish-green. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of stink bugs being poisonous to VFTs? I think it is just bad for the single trap, not the plant. I'll add a pic in an hour or so.
By tommyr
The stink bug was probably too big. Also, there is no need to feed a VFT. Your plant will be fine.
By tommyr
I'm guessing the bug isn't what caused the color change, it was probably going to happen regardless.
By tom_e_boi
:geek: If the trap can't properly form a tight seal around the bug, then bacteria can get in. That's probably what happened here.
By Starchy
Im not worried, I want my dormancy traps to die off anyways. I jus couldnt believe that the trap started to brown within minutes of catching the bug.
By Joejayce
I had the same issue when I fed my VFT stink bugs, the first time I did it the pod opened back up after a day or so so I removed it but a few days later I seen that that pod started turning brown, the 2nd time a couple days later it hung onto the stink bug for 10 days but the whole pod turned brown and now looks dead with the stink bug still in it. So I’m thinking there’s something to stink bugs being bad for VFT. ??
By tommyr
Joejayce wrote:I had the same issue when I fed my VFT stink bugs, the first time I did it the pod opened back up after a day or so so I removed it but a few days later I seen that that pod started turning brown, the 2nd time a couple days later it hung onto the stink bug for 10 days but the whole pod turned brown and now looks dead with the stink bug still in it. So I’m thinking there’s something to stink bugs being bad for VFT. ??
Was the bug dead already? Because a live bug has to be in the trap to set off the trigger hairs a second time for it to seal up and expel the enzymes. Unless you manually manipulate the hairs.
It's possible the bug WAS eaten and only the carcass was left, like what happens with flies.
By doximir
I have 2 plants and I fed 2 stinkbugs to each of them. That was two weeks ago and they still hadn't digested them... instead those pods died. The stinkbugs were very much alive when I fed them to the plants. The legs of the stinkbugs were sticking out of the pods and they were twitching even after a week of being inside.

I don't know the reason for the pods dying. It might be that the bugs weren't completely closed inside so there was an infection. It might be that the stinky liquid the stinkbugs release is harmful to the plants. It might be that their shell is too strong for the plants to digest.

Lesson of day... It's probably best not to feed stinkbugs to your venus flytraps. Maybe if the stinkbug is really small, maybe then.
Attachments:
vfp4.jpg
vfp4.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
vfp3.jpg
vfp3.jpg (193.98 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
vfp2.jpg
vfp2.jpg (102.29 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
vfp1.jpg
vfp1.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
Last edited by doximir on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Big-Jack
I've never had a problem with stink bugs (other than the fact that they stink). Like any bug they have to be completely sealed within the trap or they will rot instead of digest.
By thefic
I was curious about this and tried 2 live stink bugs on 2 separate plants. 1 inside. 1 outside. Both were new traps with good color. Both traps died within 3 days of starting to digest the stink bugs.

So I am guessing that there must be something about the bugs that the traps can't handle.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!