FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Right now I have a typical and a Maroon monster flowering. I'm planning on taking pollen from the typical and using it to pollinate the Maroon monster and vice versa to get two sets of crossed seeds. But right now, I'm fearing that my typical is sterile, which could result in no seeds whatsoever. The typical I believe is from a death cube (technically more of a tube) and I've heard that plants from these can be sterile clones with non-functioning flowers. I haven't really noticed anything wrong with the flowers of my typical, although the amount of pollen produced is less than that of the Maroon monster, but how can I tell for sure that these flowers are sterile? And if let's say, the stamens don't make pollen, could the stigma still possibly be functional and create seeds with healthy pollen from another source? I need a quick response if anyone can, the flowers are very short lived. Thanks
By Cross
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Right now I have a typical and a Maroon monster flowering. I'm planning on taking pollen from the typical and using it to pollinate the Maroon monster and vice versa to get two sets of crossed seeds. But right now, I'm fearing that my typical is sterile, which could result in no seeds whatsoever. The typical I believe is from a death cube (technically more of a tube) and I've heard that plants from these can be sterile clones with non-functioning flowers. I haven't really noticed anything wrong with the flowers of my typical, although the amount of pollen produced is less than that of the Maroon monster, but how can I tell for sure that these flowers are sterile? And if let's say, the stamens don't make pollen, could the stigma still possibly be functional and create seeds with healthy pollen from another source? I need a quick response if anyone can, the flowers are very short lived. Thanks
I had one that flowered. I spent the time pollinating abs waited forever. I thought it never would seed. I cut it down and a few days after that, it had seeded two seeds. To be safe, self the mm and use the mm to pollinate the typical.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Thanks. By the way, because I want to make sure I don't mislabel anything, are there any sort of plant tags I can put on my flowers to signify the lineage without damaging them?
By Cross
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Thanks. By the way, because I want to make sure I don't mislabel anything, are there any sort of plant tags I can put on my flowers to signify the lineage without damaging them?
I use fishing string loosely tied on them. I also use lace weight yarn, but I have a whole cabinet of that lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Cross liked this
By thefic
I have gotten multiple typical "death cube" VFTs to flower and produce seeds. Some multiple times in a year. While pollen output and seed output varies from plant to plant and flower to flower, most of the ones that I let flower produce copious amounts of seeds.

I donated several packs of VFT seeds this year. Some from typical VFTs that started out in the cubes.

It may take a year of dormancy and then spring growth for the seed and pollen output to increase. Especially if the plant was recently set free from a cube. Or if it's a recently mature plant.

Also recent repotting may affect pollen and seed output.
thefic liked this

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

New to carnivorous plants!

Have you seen these? https://www.flytrapcare.com/ […]

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!