FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Carpy321
Hi every one

I'm very sad to say I'm about to loose my entire collection of carniverous plants... From venus fly traps, sum dews, butter warts and sarracenia.. All slowly dying due to a huge aphid invasion..

I have read to submerge them to kill off all the bugs, will this make the soil go every where as atm I've run out of soil... Tried re potting to grt rid of them which didn't work...

If I can't submerge what UK safe insecticide is there I can use as I will be distraught if I loose my whole family of them!
By Carpy321
Advice would be much appreciated as I love my lil family of plants, would be distraught to loose them Image

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
By mouthstofeed
I had some aphids ravage my plants in April. Very destructive. Kill them with diluted neem oil.
By riveraXVX
a neem oil based solution will stop them dead in their tracks, aphids are not a final nail in carnivorous plants coffins. as for what is available in the UK I do not know but look for a neem oil based spray or just neem oil and mix up to proper concentration with water
By optique
kill all the aphids by hand everyday they are very slow. i had some get on a alata x minor hybrid this spring i just ran my fingers over the new growth to kill them. on the 4th day i couldn't find anymore. if you have to many plants get some neem oil instead. aphids only feed on new tender growth that's what you need to keep an eye on.
By Carpy321
Thanks every one for some fantastic help.
I'm guessing i pick one of these and just spray them straight into the infected plants??

Thanks guys for helping me saving my little family Image

By Carpy321
**update** my son found a few lady birds and placed them around my fly trap, they are now chilling, not getting eaten but hunting down aphids

By riveraXVX
Carpy321 wrote:**update** my son found a few lady birds and placed them around my fly trap, they are now chilling, not getting eaten but hunting down aphids

adult ladybirds won't eat a ton of aphids (its their larva that are furious aphid eaters!) however those neem oils you listed above those look lke pure neem oil you'll need to mix a solution of it/distilled water (according to its instructions) I can't remember the dillution we used in the past (we ended up just getting a premix at some point)

but yeah usually one application of neem oil and aphids are goners - easily the easier of the bugs to get rid of for us! (out where we live aphids are....in abundance we get them in mass a few times a year)
By Carpy321
riveraXVX wrote:
Carpy321 wrote:**update** my son found a few lady birds and placed them around my fly trap, they are now chilling, not getting eaten but hunting down aphids

adult ladybirds won't eat a ton of aphids (its their larva that are furious aphid eaters!) however those neem oils you listed above those look lke pure neem oil you'll need to mix a solution of it/distilled water (according to its instructions) I can't remember the dillution we used in the past (we ended up just getting a premix at some point)

but yeah usually one application of neem oil and aphids are goners - easily the easier of the bugs to get rid of for us! (out where we live aphids are....in abundance we get them in mass a few times a year)
Managed to buy some pure neem oil and heavily diluted it but left it so it still had its scent and gave them a good spray over then left em them in shade so they don't cook

Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!