FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
2 inches Plus
2 inches Plus
KIMG3907.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 2475 times
Same fly trap with flowers
Same fly trap with flowers
KIMG3906.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2475 times
Long flower stalk
Long flower stalk
KIMG3901.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2475 times
Flowers
Flowers
KIMG3896.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2475 times
By Artchic528
Neat! Nothing like seeing flytraps in their native habitat. NC does grow the best flytraps, IMHO.
By Fieldofscreams
It's a great illustration of how these plants do not grow naturally in super wet conditions. Notice how the ground is dry?
By thefic
It always makes me wonder where that misconception came from. I keep mine fairly damp-ish in the greenhouse (due to the overwhelming heat) and seedlings the same way. But I see some people keep them in terrariums and other soaking wet conditions. While I am sure there are specimens growing in bog like conditions, there are others growing along dry paths and open fields.
By sbrooks
I agree that they don't require sitting in water, or having the rhizome sopping wet. But those in the ground have deeper roots that reach into places that stay damp.
Either way, Flytraps grown in an artificial environment such as a greenhouse, generally speaking, still often look nicer than those in their natural habitat.
By salty
It’s probably pretty moist just under the surface. There are drosera intermedia growing right next to them which would make me think it’s not as dry as it looks.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:It's a great illustration of how these plants do not grow naturally in super wet conditions. Notice how the ground is dry?
I agree my fly traps are growing much better this year and I push them to bone dry. Seems at the driest they seem to grow the most. I did stop using Maxsea in January so I could push them to the driest. Last year I burned some plants up using Maxsea and letting them dry.
By Fieldofscreams
My first growing season I kept them constantly wet and they grew pretty good. Then I saw Steve D talking about keeping them on the verge of dry. So I tried it and sure enough they grew much faster and bigger. Ever since then I've been keeping them pretty dry compared to most growers.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!