Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Greenbastard
20190520_225106.jpg
20190520_225106.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2543 times
20190520_224851.jpg
20190520_224851.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 2543 times
Hello people,

Have recently started to care for some store bought flytraps, survived repotting and fed them twice now. 2 traps died as a result of the last feeding but it could have been the end of those 2 traps life cycles, size of the mealworms i fed them, or the fact that i like a newbie rehydrated the worms with tap water rather than distilled water. That being said the remaining traps are fine and there are some nice healthy sprouts coming up. Ive noticed one of my sprouts although having a nice stem the bud seems to be blackening on the seam of what i can only assume is where the leaf will split into two halves of the trap. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Its only the 1 sprout so far but im keeping a close eye. Ive attached some pics as well. These 2 pictures are all i can upload at the moment since file size plz email for more pics if you're interested
By Fieldofscreams
That trap most likely won't turn into a useful bug catching trap. Sometimes they don't for whatever reason. Normally nothing to worry about.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Alderas
Yea it could be recovering from the move and just be stressed out. Just make sure it is sprouting new ones from the growth point and you will be fine.
Alderas liked this
By Greenbastard
Alderas wrote:Yea it could be recovering from the move and just be stressed out. Just make sure it is sprouting new ones from the growth point and you will be fine.
Yes its got new sprouts and some very nice stalks with buds on them getting ready to open *fingers crossed*
By Greenbastard
Fieldofscreams wrote:That trap most likely won't turn into a useful bug catching trap. Sometimes they don't for whatever reason. Normally nothing to worry about.
Would it be a good idea to keep the stem on the rhizome to promote photosynthesis and catch light or should i clip that whole leaf off at the base to make room for a fresh one
By Fieldofscreams
I never ever remove anything that is green and because I'm lazy I rarely remove completely blackened traps.

The reason you don't want to remove anything green is because the plant still uses it to photosynthesize.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Greenbastard
Fieldofscreams wrote:I never ever remove anything that is green and because I'm lazy I rarely remove completely blackened traps.

The reason you don't want to remove anything green is because the plant still uses it to photosynthesize.
Ya thats what i was thinking, but also reading different things like clipping stalks promotes new shoots but I'll just wait it, out for now since it is a nice stalk for the plant to use to collect light
By Fieldofscreams
VFTS are bulb type plants, they don't have stalks. Cutting off traps just robs the plant of being able to photosynthesize.
By Greenbastard
Fieldofscreams wrote:VFTS are bulb type plants, they don't have stalks. Cutting off traps just robs the plant of being able to photosynthesize.
Ya the rhizome is the bulb the traps are the leaves im just calling the leaf that trap is attached to a stalk for lack of a better word
By Fieldofscreams
You probably read about cutting off flower stalks, which does promote leaf growth.
By Greenbastard
Fieldofscreams wrote:You probably read about cutting off flower stalks, which does promote leaf growth.
Ya i could have some wires, crossed ill have to go back over some of the things I've been reading but I'm def going to let one flower and bud later to have some extra seeds
What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or the[…]

Oxygen Rot/Eating Itself

You won’t be able to save the trap, but the […]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

An assortment of sundews.

Noob with questions

this is the best 10min video for new grows i have […]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Leafs with no traps

Welcome to the forum. How about a pic of your flyt[…]

Some flytraps

All seed grown from Matt and my seeds.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!