FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Copper2
I fed two of the traps on my VTF with some craneflies I found. However the traps will not stay closed to eat it. They keep opening. I was going to get some blood worms but I am not sure now. What do I do?
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:I fed two of the traps on my VTF with some craneflies I found. However the traps will not stay closed to eat it. They keep opening. I was going to get some blood worms but I am not sure now. What do I do?
Will they not close at all? Or when do they reopen?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By ChefDean
Copper2 wrote:I fed two of the traps on my VTF with some craneflies I found. However the traps will not stay closed to eat it. They keep opening. I was going to get some blood worms but I am not sure now. What do I do?
Were the craneflies dead or alive when fed to your traps? If dead, then they could not stimulate the traps to seal.
The hairs that stimulate the trap to close also stimulate the trap to seal and begin digesting the creepy crawly. You can trick it by gently squeezing the sides of the closed traps a couple of times over the next hour after it initially closed. Gently! I've done this a few times with houseflies that I've been a little too aggressive about catching and accidentally killed.
If the bug was alive, then I don't know. Maybe the VFT is just coming out of dormancy and is still sleepy.
By Cross
ChefDean wrote:
Were the craneflies dead or alive when fed to your traps? If dead, then they could not stimulate the traps to seal.
The hairs that stimulate the trap to close also stimulate the trap to seal and begin digesting the creepy crawly. You can trick it by gently squeezing the sides of the closed traps a couple of times over the next hour after it initially closed. Gently! I've done this a few times with houseflies that I've been a little too aggressive about catching and accidentally killed.
If the bug was alive, then I don't know. Maybe the VFT is just coming out of dormancy and is still sleepy.
Thanks for posting this. It's what I was going for, but I had auction wins to pay for. Woot woot. I won so many awesome things lol.

By Copper2
Congrats Cross! You did get some good plants. I was just patrolling my G17 and making sure no one else bid on it :)

The traps keep reopening. The craneflies were partly dead- I’ll be doing the squeeze on the traps now!
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:Congrats Cross! You did get some good plants. I was just patrolling my G17 and making sure no one else bid on it :)

The traps keep reopening. The craneflies were partly dead- I’ll be doing the squeeze on the traps now!
I waited until 8:59 to make final bids Image I wanted that g17, but it got out of my range with the other bids I placed lol. If it ever divides, let me know. Like he said earlier, you have to make sure it completely seals. I have been feeding mine with blood worms. So, I trigger the traps. Then I very carefully squeeze/ rub the trap. I don't put much pressure at all. I tend to leave the worms on a trigger hair, so very light pressure where the meat is helps to fully seal it.

By Copper2
Cross, I’ll send you the first division I get of G17. And it should divide quickly since I'll be running some tests on it!
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:Cross, I’ll send you the first division I get of G17. And it should divide quickly since I'll be running some tests on it!
Awe thanks! I'll have to send you something when something divides. What tests are you running?

By Copper2
Cross wrote:
Copper2 wrote:Cross, I’ll send you the first division I get of G17. And it should divide quickly since I'll be running some tests on it!
Awe thanks! I'll have to send you something when something divides. What tests are you running?

PGRs is what I am testing. Soak some bloodworms in those PGRs and then feed them to the VTF! I figure I can induce a lot of divisions, then make sure they root, and then get them big quickly. This should happen faster than it does naturally but I think the plants will grow differently until the hormones are out
By Copper2
Everybody wants a hormone grown plant right....?

It would be like TC in regular plant conditions. So peat instead of agar gel, no sugar, etc
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:
Cross wrote:

PGRs is what I am testing. Soak some bloodworms in those PGRs and then feed them to the VTF! I figure I can induce a lot of divisions, then make sure they root, and then get them big quickly. This should happen faster than it does naturally but I think the plants will grow differently until the hormones are out
I can't wait to see the progress for this! Definitely keep me in the loop, I want to see how this turns out

By Cross
Copper2 wrote:Everybody wants a hormone grown plant right....?

It would be like TC in regular plant conditions. So peat instead of agar gel, no sugar, etc
Maybe it'll look like a Mario vft ImageImage

By Copper2
Cross wrote:

If I give the flytrap gibberellic acid, it might end up looking like a spider plant!
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:
Cross wrote:

If I give the flytrap gibberellic acid, it might end up looking like a spider plant!
Maybe it'll like snake out and eat things. It'll take its feline prey to the mother fly trap plant. There's a joke in here about monsters, but I'm too decent to make it.

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!