FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By TCGator
According to the CDC website, 70-90% alcohol does not kill spore-forming bacteria or fungal spores. There was one greenhouse research article that found that bacteria could be spread from plant to plant via the tools that were "sterilized" by dipping in alcohol. Bacterial colonies could be cultured by sampling the alcohol.
By Copper2
TCGator wrote:According to the CDC website, 70-90% alcohol does not kill spore-forming bacteria or fungal spores. There was one greenhouse research article that found that bacteria could be spread from plant to plant via the tools that were "sterilized" by dipping in alcohol. Bacterial colonies could be cultured by sampling the alcohol.
You could always have multiple containers of alcohol. That would get out of hand though with a big batch of TC.

I only recently started TC, but have had success. I bought phytotech’s VTF kit along with some ppm, and MS media. I took the box from phytotech and lined it with plastic wrap. After a wipe with some alcohol this has become my “hood.” I use ppm with good success. I’ve only done a handful of flasks and am now down to one flask because of contamination, and deflasking for acclimation. I actually got disappointed that I wasn’t getting a lot of contamination so I subcultured one flask with my bare hands. That was a really bad idea. The flask grew hair. Moving on....

I did use the microwave. I’m going to buy a pressure cooker for two reasons. First is that I no longer have a microwave, and second is because I noticed that the microwave makes a lot of the media evaporate. I have a feeling that this can concentrate the media to a higher level than desired.

The kit from phytotech is good. I wish it came with a chart to tell you how much VTF media equals an equal amount of MS media, though. I hope that the phytotech VTF that comes with the kit is vigorous. I have a few that are acclimating and have roots (finally!!!!).

Side note, I have observed that seedlings can be removed from TC without significant stress or wilting. I did this with some D.binata seedlings in TC and while I did acclimate them just in case, I don’t think they needed it. Anyway the binatas sure were quicker than these VTFs
By jasonh
Copper2 wrote:
The kit from phytotech is good. I wish it came with a chart to tell you how much VTF media equals an equal amount of MS media, though. I hope that the phytotech VTF that comes with the kit is vigorous. I have a few that are acclimating and have roots (finally!!!!).

I believe it's about 1/4 MS, you can find the information sheet here:

https://phytotechlab.com/mwdownloads/do ... ink/id/61/

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome! (and I think it's my turn to say: ) Be su[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!