FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By mmfox
Hi all,

I am at my second attempt to TC after 15 years. First one was a TERRIBLE fail (details in my forum intro )

I am creating a very cheap, plastic hood with small blower an Hepa filter (for vaccum cleaner).

I have been reading Matt’s post and all the information here in the forum about TC but some links look to be outdated and I want to be sure I am not buying wrong or extra stuff as I am on a budget.

I have a few questions that I would appreciate anyone that could help me find answers:

1) For flask/vessels what should I get? Baby jars? What’s the right phytocap code that fit on them? Any particular baby jar?
2) Matt’s FAQ talks about preparing the media but looks like there are 3 different kind of media for every stage of the TC? Is this right? 3) Should I get the Venus flytrap media from the pythoteclab page (the have one for multiplication and one for pretransplant) but it looks I still need to buy separate “murashige and skiing (ms) medium with vitamins)
4) Is it enough to clean plyers and other instruments with alcohol without burning them? Is it really needed? (I had a bad experience with fire and TC so I want to minimize the risk!)
5) planning to start with VTF seeds. Any specific recommendation?
6) should I get some kind of kit? As I don’t have the instruments and jars or media yet or buy separate?

Sorry about all my newbie questions. It’s kind of a personal life objective for me at this point to succeed with TC.

Happy Sunday!
Matias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Cross
mmfox wrote:Hi all,

I am at my second attempt to TC after 15 years. First one was a TERRIBLE fail (details in my forum intro Image )

I am creating a very cheap, plastic hood with small blower an Hepa filter (for vaccum cleaner).

I have been reading Matt’s post and all the information here in the forum about TC but some links look to be outdated and I want to be sure I am not buying wrong or extra stuff as I am on a budget.

I have a few questions that I would appreciate anyone that could help me find answers:

1) For flask/vessels what should I get? Baby jars? What’s the right phytocap code that fit on them? Any particular baby jar?
2) Matt’s FAQ talks about preparing the media but looks like there are 3 different kind of media for every stage of the TC? Is this right? 3) Should I get the Venus flytrap media from the pythoteclab page (the have one for multiplication and one for pretransplant) but it looks I still need to buy separate “murashige and skiing (ms) medium with vitamins)
4) Is it enough to clean plyers and other instruments with alcohol without burning them? Is it really needed? (I had a bad experience with fire and TC so I want to minimize the risk!)
6) should I get some kind of kit? As I don’t have the instruments and jars or media yet or buy separate?

Sorry about all my newbie questions. It’s kind of a personal life objective for me at this point to succeed with TC.

Happy Sunday!
Matias

I used the large beechnut jars and the caps that fit are c070. I used c206 for my vfts and sundews. I have c527 to attempt my sarrs. A111 for agar. I don't plan on transplanting into more mm after they strike. I'll be replanting into soil. I used larger mason jars and sterilized the media in there and then transferred into steralized smaller jars and non autoclave containers from phyto. I covered them with foil. If you buy three vft I mentioned, you shouldn't need another, unless I'm horribly mistaken. But this is my first time doing it lol. I did not burn my instruments. I have a relationship with fire. We're don't visit each other lol. I sanitized then and then triple rinsed in distilled water. You could buy a kit, I found them expensive though, so I made it up as I went along. Fly trap store sells seeds, the seed bank has them, and I would make a post. People's parents are flowering and some are harvesting. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By mmfox
Cross wrote:
mmfox wrote:Hi all,

I am at my second attempt to TC after 15 years. First one was a TERRIBLE fail (details in my forum intro Image )

Happy Sunday!
Matias

I used the large beechnut jars and the caps that fit are c070. I used c206 for my vfts and sundews. I have c527 to attempt my sarrs. A111 for agar. I don't plan on transplanting into more mm after they strike. I'll be replanting into soil. I used larger mason jars and sterilized the media in there and then transferred into steralized smaller jars and non autoclave containers from phyto. I covered them with foil. If you buy three vft I mentioned, you shouldn't need another, unless I'm horribly mistaken. But this is my first time doing it lol. I did not burn my instruments. I have a relationship with fire. We're don't visit each other lol. I sanitized then and then triple rinsed in distilled water. You could buy a kit, I found them expensive though, so I made it up as I went along. Fly trap store sells seeds, the seed bank has them, and I would make a post. People's parents are flowering and some are harvesting. Hope this helps.

Chris, Thanks so much again. What are the 3 VFT that you mentioned? I might have miss read your text.
Also, thanks for the jars info. I am planing to prepare the media, put it into the beechnut jars and pressure cook them with the media inside. Am I missing a step? When/where do you use the foils? Pythocaps can be tight in the jars right? I guess if I get sterilized jars already I could transfer the media to them inside the hood if the jars are non autoclave. Will that increase the risk of contamination?

By Cross
They're likely just typicals, just places to get seeds. I may have some soon, no promises though. I used the foil to cover the jars, fully don't need it. The phyto kids fit very tight, perfectly. I just put some water in the pressure cooker and the jars in. I don't think you're missing anything.

By Cross
mmfox wrote:Is PPM necessary? It's expensive stuff and shipping for 30ml is 8dollars to Virginia! :-(
I think if you're clean enough, then probably not. I have it though because I did not use a hood.... I expect mine to fail lol. Where are you ordering from?

By Cross
mmfox wrote:
Cross wrote:
mmfox wrote:I was checking the site link at the Tissue Culture FAQ. Plantcelltechnology

Have you looked here? http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/ppm.aspx

That makes much more sense ! Thanks!

Np. She was pretty quick to get it out to me too.

By jasonh
Cross wrote:Cute little bottles I found on Amazon.

That's really cute! You might want to seal it with parafilm or tape though.

Here's my Beech-Nut jars with Magenta B-cap. The jars are about 50 cents each at my local Walmart, bcaps are about 50 cents each as well, I got 50 of them from Carol at Kitchenculturekit. They are sealed with 3M micropore tape.
bjar.jpg
bjar.jpg (132.55 KiB) Viewed 6278 times
And here's some D. regia seeds germinating!
D. regia.jpg
D. regia.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 6278 times
By Cross
jasonh wrote:

Here's my Beech-Nut jars with Magenta B-cap. The jars are about 50 cents each at my local Walmart, bcaps are about 50 cents each as well, I got 50 of them from Carol at Kitchenculturekit. They are sealed with 3M micropore tape.
bjar.jpg
D. regia.jpg
Great idea with the seal, I didn't think of it. How long did it take for your regia to germinate?

By jasonh
Cross wrote:
jasonh wrote:

bjar.jpg
D. regia.jpg
Great idea with the seal, I didn't think of it. How long did it take for your regia to germinate?

This batch took about 3 weeks, however I had some germinate only in 9 days. Temperature might be a big factor that affects germination time.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!