FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
Pender/onslow counties.
Controlled burns clean up the low growth and allows the sunlight to get to the ground, thus helping Fly Traps and other CPs to thrive. It also helps germinate Pine seedlings. It also helps control forest fires.
Attachments:
Control burn
Control burn
KIMG3201.JPG (884.36 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
By Cross
Oh sheet, I lived in onslow county years ago. I remember when I first moved there, the grass was on fire and the fire fighters were just watching it. I was horrified lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Jagasian
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:It’s interesting how much forests fires can help ecosystems instead of just seemingly destroying everything.
Scientific research shows that controlled burns are absolutely terrible for peatlands that sphagnum moss. Yes the burns remove larger plants such as trees, grasses, and bushes, but the burn massively increases the nutrients in the ground, which then become levels that are poisonous to sphagnum and carnivorous plants... but the nutrient levels do become beneficial to the larger vascular plants such as trees.

If you want to restore a peatland that is built of tons of sphagnum moss, you need to take actions that do the following two things: (i) decrease nutrient levels in the ground/water, and (ii) increase the height of the water table. Burning does not accomplish either of these two things and in fact, burning does the opposite of these two things.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Jagasian I totally agree with you and it would be a problem to control burn a huge forest.
Land development = draining wetlands
Land development is a bigger problem than control burns.
Global warming = higher seas and salt contaminating fresh ground water.
Salty water kills everything.
I appreciate the insite, but they are not burning huge masses of land. They only burn a strip about 1000 feet deep to keep a fire from crossing a road.
There is just a highway between residential houses and huge land preserves. They just burn a small area in case their is a forest fire, just to keep it on the other side of the highway.
Sometimes they can seem pretty intense, but again it is a small amount of land they burn.
By The-Plant-Guy84
Any remember the HUGE patch at Alderman elementary school in Wilmington NC?

Oh yea! New to this forum so allow me to introduce myself! I'm Eric from Wilmy NC. Studied botany, horticulture, mycology, and some micro biology. Dionaea muscipula has been the most interesting to the point where it seemed most research and data is sightly...well, inaccurate. Would love to share!
The-Plant-Guy84 liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
The-plant-guy84
You can share here, but there are places to introduce yourself. I visit Rehder gardens every chance I get... Was there this past Wednesday. I am just a little North of Wilmington

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!