FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Fuzzy_Puppies
Gibberellic Acid Powder

Product Description
Gibberellic acid was first discovered in Japan in 1935 as a result of the study of a condition common in rice plants called "foolish seedling" disease, which caused the plants to grow much taller than normal. The effects of gibberellins weren't widely understood until years later. Gibberellic acid, GA3 is a naturally occurring plant hormone that regulates the growth of plants, including triggering seed germination. Gibberellic Acid is not manufactured; it's a natural product extracted from the Gibberella fujikuroi fungus. There are over 100 known forms of gibberellic acid; GA3 is the most effective.

Seeds of many plant species require exposure to low or high temperature within a certain period before they will germinate. This process is called thermal stratification. Alternatively, the hormone gibberelline can be used to break such dormancy.

Alcohol soluble GA3 Powder 90% is the most economical form of Gibberellic acid. It is soluble in 70% common rubbing alcohol. Before it can be used is must be turned into a liquid. The amount of Gibberellic acid that needs to be used is very small. Drop the correct amount of powder in a small bottle, then add a few drops of rubbing alcohol. The only reason to use alcohol is to dilute the Gibberellic acid powder. Use just enough alcohol to wet the gibberellic acid powder. If after a couple of minutes you can still see some powder add a few more drops of alcohol. Then just add water to get he right concentration. It is often being said that alcohol will damage plants. Yes, but not in the very low concentration needed to dissolve Gibberellic acid. 90% GA3 powder will not dissolve in water. Once mixed it loses viability within a week, even if refrigerated.
http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/gibberell ... a3-90.html
Does this seem like something worth looking into? Has anyone used GAP on carnivorous plants?
By Matt
I use it on Sarracenia seeds and Drosera seeds so that I don't have to cold stratify them. It seems to work pretty well. This is what I use:
http://www.super-grow.biz/GA3Powder90.jsp

I'd have to look at my notes, but I think I usually shoot for 400pmm-500ppm and soak for 36 to 48 hours.
By Fuzzy_Puppies
I was thinking of using it on flytrap seeds; do you think it would cut down on the germination time from a month or so to a couple weeks? Or have you used it on seedlings to improve size; or does that fall in the fertalizer category and kill them?
By Matt
I don't think that there's a need to use it on flytrap seed. If the seed is fresh and the conditions are right, flytrap seed germinates in 10 to 15 days.

If the seed is old, it might help, but I can't say for sure.
Fuzzy_Puppies wrote:Or have you used it on seedlings to improve size; or does that fall in the fertalizer category and kill them?
I've never used it on plants, only when soaking seeds. I know people use it on plants, but I've not researched the proper way to use it in that capacity.
Matt liked this
By RhysKi
Matt wrote:I don't think that there's a need to use it on flytrap seed. If the seed is fresh and the conditions are right, flytrap seed germinates in 10 to 15 days.

If the seed is old, it might help, but I can't say for sure.
Fuzzy_Puppies wrote:Or have you used it on seedlings to improve size; or does that fall in the fertalizer category and kill them?
I've never used it on plants, only when soaking seeds. I know people use it on plants, but I've not researched the proper way to use it in that capacity.

i know this is an old post, but this was the closest to my inquiry.. what about using gibberellic acid /GA3 on cephalotus seeds to skip stratification and/or speed up germination? anything's appreciated!
Noob with questions

I'd help a lot if you could post a picture of it.[…]

Your flytrap will be fine. Continue to give proper[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

Leafs with no traps

Welcome to the forum. How about a pic of your flyt[…]

Hey @Panman, what’s that pretty leuco/moorei[…]

Some flytraps

All seed grown from Matt and my seeds.

What the f-

What is this? Is my flytrap finally fighting back […]

Chef dean, I'd like to cancel this order please. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!