FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By twitcher
I have easy access to fired fullers earth, which is the right size and consistency for use in cp media. I was wondering if there was any experience out there with using this with CP's. It appears to be the same materiel as was used in Peters Aquatic Soil, which as far as I know is longer available. I have an old bag of it and it claims that it does not deteriorate in water, does not alter pH, etc. I have long used ffe to help keep soils aerated, but not in cp situations. Opinions or experience? I'll probably give it a test at some point, but have to isolate from my community trays, which could be problematic.
By twitcher
Fired fullers earth does not dissolve or break down. I've used it as a soil loosener for nearly 20 years. It is used as an absorbent and for filtration substances. This is not cat litter. The kind of litter you mention is likely not fired.
By promethean_spark
I've used aquatic soil and turface, which are the same stuff it sounds like. I'd rinse it first and measure the TDS of water it soaked in before putting it on sensitive plants. TDS probably isn't something the manufacturers worry about and may vary by lot or regionally.
By twitcher
Duh! I never thought of soaking prospective, experimental substrates in known tds water and then checking tds for changes. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Still would have to be concerned about mineral and salts leeching, I suppose.

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!