FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Lukebart02
So I purchased some typicals from Walmart and repotted then since the roots were growing through the bottom and then drying. Then I made a decision that I feel may have been bad. I stuck them directly outside because they wouldn’t be getting harsh sun and it’s getting cold. The nights have been dropping into the 30s and now my plant is mostly turning brown. I don’t think it’s sun burn because the sun isn’t direct for more than 2 hours a day now that it’s falll. Did I do something wrong because I put them outside when it’s really cold without letting them adjust since they had summer leaves?
Attachments:
The leaves seem to be turning brown
The leaves seem to be turning brown
image.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 2326 times
Last edited by Lukebart02 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lukebart02
Lukebart02 wrote:So I purchased some typicals from Walmart and repotted then since the roots were growing through the bottom and then drying. Then I made a decision that I feel may have been bad. I stuck them directly outside because the would be getting harsh sun and it’s getting cold. The nights have been dropping into the 30s and now my plant is mostly turning brown. I don’t think it’s sun burn because the sun isn’t as much direct sunlight on them a day now that it’s fall. Did I do something wrong because I put them outside when it’s really cold without letting them adjust since they had summer leaves?
By carelerasmus
Its probably just shock from being repotted! When plants get repotted , some roots might get broken... This disturbs the plant's normal growth so that it can focus on root recovery. Maybe give it some time and introduce it to more direct sunlight over a week or so, it should bounce right back before eventually going dormant

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Lukebart02
carelerasmus wrote:Its probably just shock from being repotted! When plants get repotted , some roots might get broken... This disturbs the plant's normal growth so that it can focus on root recovery. Maybe give it some time and introduce it to more direct sunlight over a week or so, it should bounce right back before eventually going dormant

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Ok thanks so much!
By cjhbeeman72
Is this your first fly trap?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
By Lukebart02
cjhbeeman72 wrote:Is this your first fly trap?

No. All of my others that I got in August didn’t do anything like this. Now almost all of the traps on these plants are browning even though they are in the correct medium and are outside. Should I have acclimated the to the cold first?
By Lukebart02
Here it is now compared to my other one now. The second pic is today of the plant purchased in August. The first is of the newer plant
Plant not doing well
Plant not doing well
image.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2211 times
Healthy plant that was purchased in august
Healthy plant that was purchased in august
image.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2211 times
By cjhbeeman72
Id say they are fine. They are probably a little shocked and wanting to go dormant. Its that time of year. Short days and cold will make tgem do that which is needed so they can be vigorus next year.

cjhbeeman72 liked this
By Kenneth
A plant that has been growing in warmer conditions and mistreated before purchase and thrown outside.. the plant will go into shock naturally. Dormancy and temperature drop should be gradually.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!