FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By DGUTIERREZ
Hello,

I am trying to understand if my 68ppm rain water stored in rain barrels is safe to use on my VFT and other CPs. It has run off a gravel roof, a metal patio cover and down the gutter. The barrel has a little algae growing because the lid was ajar. The area is covered by a Pecan tree with leaf litter present on the metal roof. As you can see in the photo below, the water is a brownish color coming out of the rain barrels. I live in San Antonio, Texas, USA.

What are thoughts on this? Worth a shot?
Attachments:
Rain Water.JPG
Rain Water.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1733 times
By Huntsmanshorn
The PPM problem could be, all or in part, from the gravel roof. In my area, the gravel all contains limestone, which is a no-no for most carnivorous plants. If I were you I would give it a try on a test plant or two and see what happens. Give it a few months and if the test plants are ok then try a couple of others and so on until you are confident its safe.
By DGUTIERREZ
Yes, that is a very good point about the alkaline gravel on the roof. Better safe than sorry!
By steve booth
The brown indicates dirt or organic matter from the detritus on the roof or in the gutter or that gets into the barrels, (I assume they are plastic?) which is why the TDS is high. A good clean up may help, or only collecting water after it has rained for 10 mins or so to wash the dirtier stuff away.
Cheers
Steve

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!