FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Jeeper
So I had 4 different seed packs in cold stratification in my fridge since 7/14, plans were to plant this weekend. Things in life happened and I didn't get a chance to sow. Seeds were put on moistened paper towel, folded over and placed in fridge. I've checked on them from time to time and all was well. Went and looked tonight and most of them have a black ring around each seed. :x Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm assuming total failure? Should I sow them anyway?

I think I may go the water route in the future...
By Jeeper
Shadowtski wrote:Don't give up. You might have picked up a ittle mold. No big deal. Rinse the seeds and plant them.

Good growing,
Mike
Thanks Mike, coming from a 'dew guy' I'll try to sow them in the next 24-36 hours...

First time trying cold strat so I knew i might have issues.
By Shadowtski
Order yourself some rotundifolia, intermedia, maybe some Sarr purpurea. I think the Seed Bank has these in stock. Plant them on some media, dome your pots, and let them sit outside this coming Winter. You'll have CP seedlings up the wazoo next Spring.

Good growing,
Mike
By KategoricalKarnivore
That’s totally normal and usually doesn’t have any effect on germination rates so DONT throw them out. Just pot them up like usual.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Nightbreed wrote:Is there a limit on how long you leave them in the fridge?
4 weeks minimum and up to 12 weeks is normal. They can last a long time in there I would suspect. They won’t germinate until temperatures reach a higher level than your fridge.
By Nightbreed
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:
Nightbreed wrote:Is there a limit on how long you leave them in the fridge?
4 weeks minimum and up to 12 weeks is normal. They can last a long time in there I would suspect. They won’t germinate until temperatures reach a higher level than your fridge.
That's good to know I've had them in there for 6 weeks but was thinking of waiting until spring but I might just get them started under some grow lights.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!