FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Lukebart02
Hi I got this Venus fly trap from my local Walmart which has never had them before. I was super excited and bought one because it was only 5 dollars. I’m guessing it’s a typical but I reported it and it had many other plants with it! They were potted in peat moss and sphagnum! I reported them in the same mixture and I’m wondering some care info since I live in ohio! Should I put them outside with my potted sarrecenia or what? And also I’d love tips!
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 1398 times
By FlyTrap Hunter
Lukebart02 wrote:Hi I got this Venus fly trap from my local Walmart which has never had them before. I was super excited and bought one because it was only 5 dollars. I’m guessing it’s a typical but I reported it and it had many other plants with it! They were potted in peat moss and sphagnum! I reported them in the same mixture and I’m wondering some care info since I live in ohio! Should I put them outside with my potted sarrecenia or what? And also I’d love tips!
If it came from Walmart it is likely from Rocket Farms. You can search their website and see huge green houses full of fly traps.
I would put them in full morning sun for a few hours a day and shade the rest. Even totally burned back to the rhizome, they usually recover. Just acclimate it to the sun over a few weeks.
Fly Traps are native to zone 8. They live outside in the dirt here with s. Purpura, and Carolina Yellow Jackets pitcher plants.
I believe that Rocket Farms uses tissue culture and the seeds are usually sterile.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By Lukebart02
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Lukebart02 wrote:Hi I got this Venus fly trap from my local Walmart which has never had them before. I was super excited and bought one because it was only 5 dollars. I’m guessing it’s a typical but I reported it and it had many other plants with it! They were potted in peat moss and sphagnum! I reported them in the same mixture and I’m wondering some care info since I live in ohio! Should I put them outside with my potted sarrecenia or what? And also I’d love tips!
If it came from Walmart it is likely from Rocket Farms. You can search their website and see huge green houses full of fly traps.
I would put them in full morning sun for a few hours a day and shade the rest. Even totally burned back to the rhizome, they usually recover. Just acclimate it to the sun over a few weeks.
Fly Traps are native to zone 8. They live outside in the dirt here with s. Purpura, and Carolina Yellow Jackets pitcher plants.
I believe that Rocket Farms uses tissue culture and the seeds are usually sterile.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
Ok thank you so much! And yes it is from Rocketfarms! I’m acclimating them in morning sun then I will end up putting them with the sarrs at the front of my house where they get lots of sun!
By jackjeckel
I'm alittle confused.

Did the plants in all 3 of the pots come from the 1 Walmart pot?

Is that straight peat moss in 2 of them?

The big pot looks like it has way too much growing medium in it and both plants in the peat pots appear to be buried too low (but I am not an expert)
By Fieldofscreams
Lukebart02 wrote:Ok thank you so much! And yes it is from Rocketfarms! I’m acclimating them in morning sun then I will end up putting them with the sarrs at the front of my house where they get lots of sun!
Very good plan, always keep it in your mind that these are outdoor plants that need direct sunlight as much as possible, after acclimation of course. I don't personally acclimate plants, I just toss them outside, they always pull through.

Besides that just keep the soil moist but not wet. The plants and nature will take care of the rest.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By Lukebart02
jackjeckel wrote:I'm alittle confused.

Did the plants in all 3 of the pots come from the 1 Walmart pot?

Is that straight peat moss in 2 of them?

The big pot looks like it has way too much growing medium in it and both plants in the peat pots appear to be buried too low (but I am not an expert)
1st off yes. All 3 plants came from one pot! And also no, it’s not straight peat even though it may seem like it. There is longfibered sphagnum moss and some perlite mixed in! It’s not miracle grow either.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!