FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Jole13
I am a beginner if it goes to carnivorous plants. I read a lot about terrariums but I still don't know what are benefits of owning them. Furthermore, I have many seedlings of carnivorous plants but I don't put them to such terrariums. Is it okay? What varieties of carnivorous plants should be put in it? If you could explain me all I will be gratefull.
By tommyr
Terrariums are not needed for carnivorous plants. Grow them in the open air.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
tommyr wrote:Terrariums are not needed for carnivorous plants. Grow them in the open air.

Eh, it kind of depends. For plants like Venus Flytraps and Temperate pitcher plants, it's almost always unnecessary unless you're dealing with seedlings or potential cuttings. For tropical sundews it can help, but a lot of easy growing species can adapt well to lower humidity. Easy growing Nepenthes can adapt well, but with expert species it will help a lot to provide a controlled an environment. It also depends on what kind of terrarium you use. If it's a fish tank with peat moss in it them it will most of the time won't work well, but if it's a large container holding pots that are sitting in a shallow level of water with strong artificial lights and with an adequate temperature range, then you should be set.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!