FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By riveraXVX
7/4 update:
so, I only did one set of stacked shots for the first photo, I wanted the closest most detailed shots I could get however that didn't work out to show the real size/perspective. I wished I had taken better photos/wasn't happy with them (the detail almost makes them TOO detailed). so when we returned home tonight, kid and I went and trimmed off more seed pods that were ready to go and I spent some time with them once gals were asleep to get some nice perspective shots.

really, really happy with how these turned out! enjoy!
full size shot:

1:1 crop of above shot:

alternate shot

original post:
kiddo and I have been harvesting all the seeds slowly but surely the past week or so from all the VFTs we cross pollinated and then just left open for nature to do whatever with here is a lil macro shot showing some up close!

the small fibers you see are synthetic fibers from our carpet that I didn't notice were there until looking at the photos! one photo of the full shot, one 1:1 crop from full photo and a couple random bonus shots from the past month or two on the end. I know I've posted a couple of them in other threads that weren't mine.

kid is still enthralled with the plants we've nearly propagated things by every method we can at this point minus tissue culture. unfortunately can't get into that just yet! I'm still enjoying them also slowly growing and expanding when things allow but for the most part just making sure we keep these thriving! had one death over the winter of a cultivar I was looking forward to seeing grow but it was a tiny sickly plant to begin with, and I killed one this spring accidentally (whoops) other than that smooth sailing! I still lurk here a lot just haven't had nearly as much time to post!

the lovely D. Spatulata var. 'Tamlin' from Hollyhock from her xmas give away!

another from hollyhook at xmas showing a leaf strike from P. Florian! look at that cute lil thing!

caught a tree frog hanging out in the pots (since this photo frogs and toads have become a nuisance thanks to the pond on our property and mating each spring its the wild wild west as far as toads/frogs go. plants will be on a new plant stand we are building soon!

big ol D. Tracyii

American Toad that hangs out with the plants nightly (much to the seedlings sadness at times)

we picked up a bunch of small divisions from Smooter earlier this spring. here are a pair of them we like a lot so far 'Schuppenstiel I'

'Wally'

group shot of most of our plants from last year returning to form.

another group shot showing a bit more
Last edited by riveraXVX on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
riveraXVX, riveraXVX liked this
By riveraXVX
Mawy_Plants wrote:These are great! Your VFTs don't even look like they experienced that puppy incident. Haha. I let both my typicals flower so hoping for some seed. Sweet that you caught those frog shots too!
for as devastated as they looked/seemed I am floored by how great they've rebounded looking like nothing is wrong! I thought for sure that first night i walked out we had lost it all!
riveraXVX liked this
By riveraXVX
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Looking great!! But I only see one red flytrap in the group shot. Gotta get more red!
thx!!

I agree!! the only reds we have right now are BCP Red Dentate and recently grabbed a FTS maroon monster!

for whatever reason the other reds have evaded us!
By Big-Jack
Those were some nicely filled out seed pods. Like miniature sunflowers. Mine didn't do very well this year (very little pollen for some reason) but I still harvested enough seeds to try germination for the first time. If I get a few sprouts I'll be happy.
By riveraXVX
Big-Jack wrote:Those were some nicely filled out seed pods. Like miniature sunflowers. Mine didn't do very well this year (very little pollen for some reason) but I still harvested enough seeds to try germination for the first time. If I get a few sprouts I'll be happy.
out of approximately 20 plants that harvested, 3 flower stalks ate it before they flowered (had some issues with those plants this spring), about 4-5 plants mostly did not produce seeds, and about half/half on the remaining 10 or so plants with really big fat seed pods and some with just tiny seed pods - all in all it was a healthy amount of seeds so far, from what I can tell the plants that produced the much larger seed pods were mostly from a different grower we bought this year, and the plants were older/more mature than most of ours. so hopefully in another year or two ours will improve or perhaps its just the plants/cultivars themselves!

no telling, we have slacked on planting up a few other plants we need to rinse media for and these seeds will be next to see what we get
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!