FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By RubyConnie
I live in LA county about 45 min away from the beach. Through a series of strange events, I ended up with a Venus Fly Trap back in March, and I sorta just left it alone in its plastic mini greenhouse for the first two months on my north facing window sill. Then it tried to flower one day, and I snipped the flower stem before it opened, realizing it's gotten pretty crowded in there. So I finally decided to take care of this little guy....

I separated five little plants out from the tiny original pot, gave one plant to a friend, and now I'm left with four. I've been growing them in little cups placed inside fishbowls, started feeding them cutworms found on my herbs, and they are doing moderately ok. A few traps turned black, overall the plants are getting by. One even tried flowering again (twice) and I nipped both in the bud.

Now I'm considering moving them outdoors to my south facing balcony. There really is no good indoor window space in my apartment except for the north facing one, and I really don't want to keep the VFT plants there any longer. Although new traps are sprouting, all traps have lost their redness in color.

So question is: what kind of provision should I set up for the plants to grow outside? They're pretty small (4-5 inch tall); currently I'm growing them in a cocktail plastic cup placed inside a red solo cup with rocks on the bottom filling up about half way. The medium is 50% peat moss, 25% sand and 25% perlite. The weather in LA in the summer is generally 60-90 F, humidity level in the 40s, although it feels pretty dry. Should I keep or ditch the fishbowls? Will they survive in the open outdoors if I acclimate them slowly?Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
By Kwient
Outside is always better so go for it. Give them more direct sunlight each day untill they can soak up a whole day of sun sun sun.
Keep an eye on your soil, never let it dry. Moist, not soaking wet.
I dont know what you mean with the fisbowls. Dont see them in the picture right?
By RubyConnie
Correct, fishbowls are not pictured. They're basically medium sized plastic spheres with a small opening, through which I've placed the plants to increase humidity. But recently i started taking them out of the fishbowls to acclimate them to less humidity in the air in preparation of moving them outdoors. I placed them in the morning sun for three hours today for the first time. Curious to see what happens.
Kwient wrote:Outside is always better so go for it. Give them more direct sunlight each day untill they can soak up a whole day of sun sun sun.
Keep an eye on your soil, never let it dry. Moist, not soaking wet.
I dont know what you mean with the fisbowls. Dont see them in the picture right?
Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
They should do fine. Just a long as they don't get up to around 100 degrees in really low humidity or else they will grow poorly. That's what happened to my Flytraps. Their leaves will crisp and they'll grow smaller traps that barely open up or function. However it is normal for some of their older leaves to to turn brown and die. Throughout the growing season, it is constantly putting out newer traps while older ones die back. Just because a few leaves naturally die doesn't mean that it's unhealthy. So put it outside. It should do a lot better. And if it shows the symptoms I've described, then put it in a place that gets good morning sun but afternoon shade. This will help cool it down so it doesn't suffer from heat stress. Good growing.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!