FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Timbotide
My VFT that already had one flower stalk has grown a second one. I cut the new stalk into 4 one inch pieces
and planted them in some of my CP mix. Please wish me luck.

I also started using Maxsea 16-16-16 fertilizer at a very diluted rate to see how my VFT and Neph responds to it.
Maybe my other plants will like it as well.
By Veronis
Good luck!

Maxsea 16-16-16 is awesome stuff - CA Carnivores and some of the top Nep growers use it exclusively.

You should probably use 1/4 strength, 1/2 strength at most. Neps don't respond to fert the same way orchids and other plants do - typically they need a smaller dose or they'll go into decline. Most people pour it into the soil (although this promotes algae growth, harmless but gross), others pour the fertilizer directly into the pitchers. This is what I'm doing now; for small pitchers I fill them, large pitchers should probably get a little less, but I don't have any large pitchers to test with. A lot of the Nep growers I've talked to say that foliar feeding doesn't help nearly as much as the other two fertilization methods.

I don't know about fertilizing a VFT - I've read that you should never under any circumstances fertilize a VFT, so I never have. If you do use the Maxsea on a VFT, only fertilize one of them (an expendable one, if you have such a thing) in case it kills it overnight or in a month.
By Timbotide
I hope the flower stalk propagation method works for me so I can share some plants with my friends.
Since this plant is the only one blooming I will not have any seeds to share at this time. :( :(

Thanks guys for the advice and I will inform you on how well the Maxsea fertilizer works for me.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!