FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
What medium do you guys use to germinate Mexican ping seeds? A lot of what I'm reading on the interweb (which never lies!) says to germinate them in the same medium that you plan to grow them in. It also says to place them on top of the soil and not bury them. If I place the seeds on top of the relatively coarse all-mineral medium I've been using lately, they're almost guaranteed to fall between the pieces and become "buried". I'm thinking of using my regular stuff with maybe a 1/4" of sand on top? Or maybe I should just use NZS? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
By KategoricalKarnivore
You can try sifting the smaller pieces out of the media and top with that. Or add a thin layer of peat on top.
By evenwind
Thanks, KK. Sifting would work, I guess, although I already gotten rid of most of the tiny stuff when I was preparing the media, so it would be a long process... As far as peat, though, wouldn't that put the seeds in a (detrimental) acidic environment?
By KategoricalKarnivore
Well I got the advice to add peat to the mix for germination from benurmani. He germinates his own seeds all the time so I’m pretty sure it’s ok. I’m bet he will chime in when he sees this post anyway.
By evenwind
Anybody do it differently? (The seeds should be available soon, so I have to make a decision.)
By jeff
for me the best way to have new Mexican ping is the leaf cuttings, another advantage with the assexual method : we keep the morphology of the mother plant( taxons or hybrids).

and we are winners all the time,that's why for my part I do not do a lot of sowing that can be quite discouraging
Trying My Hand With TC

So I am more of the type that learns by doing rath[…]

package recieved thank you Sent from my SM-S918U […]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Thanks, I gave them another treatment this morning[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I do sell on Etsy, and anything I sell is authenti[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome to the forum!

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!