FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By PitBulMom
I guess I am doing something right! I am starting to get flower Stalks, and some look like real fat things! Can't decide if I want to let them flower, or cut them and plant.
I cut the stalks on my Walmart Typicals a few months ago, and they are producing plantlets right now. (Tried to get pics, but they are still teeny tiny)

MegaTraps

Also noticed my Schupenstiel2 is forming a stalk, and so is my Flaming Lips!
I have stressed so much during the winter trying to keep them in dormancy, and so far I am seeing my stress is paying off!
By Fly Trap Hunter
They look great. I know that is a Megatraps but it kinda looks like a Alien. your plants are enviously healthy looking. If you are already having success with strikes, I'd cut it off. you can always buy seeds and wait 3 years for an adult plant. :roll: :lol:
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
I was wondering why your fly traps are thicker and more like a stump, except for the flower stalk, but that's thick too. Compared to mine, you kept your's around or under 40-50F for months and just now they are getting some outside sunlight!? Plus Maxsea every 2 weeks.

And with my fly traps, no Maxsea and I put them outside every sunny day, warm or not as long as not freezing. Mine are stretchier, thinner, with less lustre, like flat not shiney. :lol:

I think our Winter is over in NC. We will have more snow, but it wont freeze much anymore. I saw Strawberries from Florida in the store the other day.
By PitBulMom
Like I said, I am assuming I am doing something right, and I am an "Overprotective Mom, but I am proud of the fact that they are doing so well!
FTH, I want to thank you for sending me such awesome plants! Very healthy and are very robust with the care I have given them!
I have spent nights just pouring over all the advice for caring for them, so I want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. I live in a "High Desert" area, so I have to watch the weather alot.
We are expecting temps into the 20's for the next couple of days of rain. Right now it is super cloudy, so all my 'kids' are under the lights since it is only 47 degrees, but this weekend we are expecting Sun and Temps in the 60's during the day.
To put it in prospective, we have had 3 days of rain in the last 7 months, very little humidity, so I am collecting what rain I can, and have to filter the sand out of it. The other day, the rain was literally Mud, not clean rain.:(
By xr280xr
That fat flower stalk looks like a great candidate for a cutting if you do decide to cut it!
xr280xr liked this
By boarderlib
PitBulMom wrote: FTH, I want to thank you for sending me such awesome plants! Very healthy and are very robust with the care I have given them!
Your plants look great! I typically just cut the stalk off and recycle it back to mother nature. With Megatraps just given good care that plant will divide like crazy, so I've never felt the need to propagate through cuttings. Though it is always an option.
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:They look great. I know that is a Megatraps but it kinda looks like a Alien.
It's good to see the love being passed aroundImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
PitBulMom wrote: To put it in prospective, we have had 3 days of rain in the last 7 months, very little humidity, so I am collecting what rain I can, and have to filter the sand out of it. The other day, the rain was literally Mud, not clean rain.:(
Muddy waters. wow I saw this happen in dusty Costa Rica. I might have expected that more in Los Angeles with the smog. :shock:

Hey Boarderlib quote. It's good to see the love being passed aroundImage Yes, so far so good. I have enjoyed the trades I've had with members. Good to see you Boarderlib

Yes. Megatraps, given a Summer will fill up a big pot. Not a ftc cup. Megatraps will fill up a big pot and divide like crazy too.
By PitBulMom
Thanks for the replies!
The stalk is about 1 1/2 inches tall, so I am going to see if it gets to 2 inches, and then cut it.
The cuttings from my Typical stalks are covered in teeny tiny plantlets,(about 3 months) and I will be thrilled if these stalks do as well!

Have one question for those that cut their stalks, what do you think about using a Rooting Hormone on them? I used to use it on plain Houseplants, and it worked pretty well, but not sure what it would do for the Stalk cuttings. (Just wondering what your thoughts are.) :D
By PitBulMom
Wellll, I did it, I cut the Fat stalk, and stuck it in moss, so let's hope I get some plantlets from it!
(Will post pics later today)
Also, cut the stalk off my Frazier Island, the seed pods were opening, so I did get seeds from that!:D
Divided and repotted my Walmart Typical, I now have 5 plants from one I bought last August.

Does anyone else keep notes on a calendar when you do something with your plants? I write flower opening, divisions, cuttings, repotting.....am I over thinking this?

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come […]

Thank you! I thought perhaps I had waited too long[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!