FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
while most of my fly traps don't look very good right now, some just seem to grow hardier than others. These have been totally frozen a few times but not much below 30F. when inside they are under 1500 lumens LED that is 7ft away and its 40F. they do get light from a window.
deep red guerilla
deep red guerilla
deep red guerilla
IMG_7948.JPG (144.36 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
uk sawtooth 2
uk sawtooth 2
uk sawtooth 2
IMG_7955.JPG (194.29 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
jaws
jaws
jaws
IMG_7953.JPG (141.88 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
WIP Long Snapper
wls
wls
IMG_7959.JPG (151.58 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
purple ambush
purple ambush
purple ambush
IMG_7963.JPG (164.83 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
They don't grow much but they are enjoying the sunny nice days outside and the cold just gives them character. thanks for looking. btw the ones I just left outside look terrible.
Last edited by Fly Trap Hunter on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Orit
They are beautiful! And thanks for making me feel slightly better with the last sentence. My outdoor VFTs look terrible now. they're on the front porch all day and night because it's their best shot at direct sunlight and i dont even worry about people stealing them lately.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit wrote:They are beautiful! And thanks for making me feel slightly better with the last sentence. My outdoor VFTs look terrible now. they're on the front porch all day and night because it's their best shot at direct sunlight and i dont even worry about people stealing them lately.
Thank you! you live in a much more brutal environment than mine anyway. These pics were really to cheer myself up because the ones outside look so bad. :roll: :lol: my sundews keep me inspired. :D
By Orit
My (indoor for the season) dews look great. Two Capensis are blooming. The VFTs outside are yellow and black. I'm happy with those that still have any significant green. What winter didn't kill, dehydration had a go at. I've been neglectful but I have good reasons. More on that later.
By xr280xr
They all look very dormant to me! They don't get as much tissue death when they're not exposed directly to the elements (wind, frost/ice.) How much light are they getting through the window? I can't imagine 1500 lumens at 7ft is doing anything for them!
By Fly Trap Hunter
xr280xr wrote:They all look very dormant to me! They don't get as much tissue death when they're not exposed directly to the elements (wind, frost/ice.) How much light are they getting through the window? I can't imagine 1500 lumens at 7ft is doing anything for them!
They have been inside about 2 month. and also if it has been warm enough, id put them back in the sun. So while they get the weak LED and window light 6 hours a day, they have gone out into direct sun at least 2 days a week in that 2 month period. So that extra umph from the sun here and there has helped. all i know is i keep seeing tiny bits of new green and i know they are doing ok until Spring. This week it isnt supposed to freeze, so they are outside in the sunshine. hopefully 1 day i can get a green house. I think the vfts look good for Winter time. They don't send out tall traps, instead seem to burrow under the moss, like they want a blanket. in nature, that's also what I see. the only traps that survive the deep freeze are ones protected by live moss or other plants or under water.

but yes. i agree. i dont think the LEDs are doing much. you are probably correct that the sunlight is what is working. i have leaf cuttings a few inches away from some LEDs and they are very happy.

I hope Spring comes early in NC! :lol:
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!