FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By AndyTheTaco
I live in Puerto Rico (Tropical) and is there any SAFE way to put my VFT dormant? I think the lower here at day is the 70s and at night 60s in December,January,February and are the rainiest, I just read this (picture)Image

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
By tommyr
For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for almost 10 years with no losses.
By AndyTheTaco
YaronR wrote:Is there am area in your house with cooler temperatures?
Can you cool a terrarium using a swamp cooler or A/C?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Yes but not know :/ I don't have power thanks to the hurricane

By AndyTheTaco
tommyr wrote:For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for almost 10 years with no losses.
Thanks! I just need power to get this all done I think ill skip this year, and I've never done it so I need to see other peoples ideas too

By YaronR
AndyTheTaco wrote:
tommyr wrote:For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for almost 10 years with no losses.
Thanks! I just need power to get this all done I think ill skip this year, and I've never done it so I need to see other peoples ideas too

Note that you can not uae sulphur and H2O2 Hydrogen peroxide together. They will cause a deadly reaction.

By AndyTheTaco
YaronR wrote:
AndyTheTaco wrote:

Note that you can not uae sulphur and H2O2 Hydrogen peroxide together. They will cause a deadly reaction.

Thanks! I only have chlorothalonil will that work?

By tommyr
AndyTheTaco wrote:Thanks! I only have chlorothalonil will that work?
I would only use a sulphur based fungicide.
By Fieldofscreams
I had to put into a different sprayer and dilute it with distilled water so that it would spray. It's extremely thick.
By AndyTheTaco
Fieldofscreams wrote:I had to put into a different sprayer and dilute it with distilled water so that it would spray. It's extremely thick.
Yeah haded the same problem I did the qtip method and was nice, now I now I can mix it with water Image and is reverse osmosis good?

Chef dean, I'd like to cancel this order please. […]

Help! My VFT is dying

Im sorry if i don't want my vft to die

@andynorth , We found a solution to add it to o[…]

HOW MUCH WATER IS TOO MUCH WATER? Jr_overwatered[…]

I'm a little late to the dance but here is my Brun[…]

Help with care for my VFT

The plant is in decline due to lack of light. It w[…]

St. Patrick’s Beard

Hasn’t made a normal trap in FOREVERR, can f[…]

FTS Archangel

:P

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!