FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Carnivorous_Corner06
I want to place my venus flytraps outside for dormancy, but im not sure whether or not my city is suitable for them. The zone is 9a. If someone can help, that would be nice.
By Mawy_Plants
Hi CC06!
I lived in San Antonio, TX a couple years ago while finishing up my undergrad! Lol.

Anyway, I only began growing CPs this past June. I live back home in northern CA in zone 10a and I've left my plants outside. I believe VFTs are native to zone 8, so you should be good. I don't recall it frosting too much out there, if at all. Frost is only a problem if you continue to put them through it (frost/ defrost). Covering them up with snow would end up being better due to insulation.

I'm sure you know, but they to best when in full sun. If you are still acclimating them, find a spot with some light. Gradually move them to a sunnier location every week. Others do it by hours each day, I just let them hang and move them the next week to a location with more sun.

It is possible to induce dormancy while indoors as well. They go dormant through the change in photoperiod (less hours of light) as well as colder temperatures. So if you have been growing on a windowsill, I'm sure they have slowly been transitioning to their sleepy time! Haha.

I hope this helps, maybe someone else will chime in with more information!

Best of luck!
Mary
Mawy_Plants liked this
By mouthstofeed
i live in corpus christi, tx and they do okay down here. the biggest problem is the moisture level during the summer months. you really have to watch that they don't dry out. otherwise vfts and pitchers and even drosera will do fabulously in south texas. san antonio of course is somewhat hotter than corpus christi, but if you really try at keeping them moist, they will be okay.
mouthstofeed liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!