FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By donaciano
I've been lurking around the forums on the site and learning from your wisdom a little over a year now.

Much appreciated, I thought you guys would like to see my 3d printed pot collection.

About the plants.

The larger flytraps are all from a single unknown fly trap bought at Walmart last year. It was in a round plastic cylinder. Let me know if you have more info.

The smaller ones are B-52 seedlings which I got in a little glass lightbulb container with blue growing medium for just $8. A few of the larger ones are starting to catch up in size with the other more mature plants.

They all had a really great growing period this year and required some repotting. I'm afraid next spring I'll have a hard time keeping up with their growth. Will start giving away some in unique pots to local friends. In the meantime I'll expand to sundews and maybe some more interesting pitcher varieties.

If you ever needed an excuse to buy a 3d printer... here you go. :D

All 3d models were downloaded from thingiverse.com
Baby B52s in the boot and the hexagons on the right. Plants on the plate since repotted... a stack of books, and a pair of Mario question boxes in brown. Oh and a warp pipe on the left.
Baby B52s in the boot and the hexagons on the right. Plants on the plate since repotted... a stack of books, and a pair of Mario question boxes in brown. Oh and a warp pipe on the left.
IMG_2675.jpg (268.43 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
Yes that's a Facehugger Egg...  the hexes get emptied as the B52s grow out of them.
Yes that's a Facehugger Egg... the hexes get emptied as the B52s grow out of them.
IMG_4318.jpg (311.2 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
Yoda with a B52 baby, the rest generic Walmart trap.  The minion is of caveman variety.
Yoda with a B52 baby, the rest generic Walmart trap. The minion is of caveman variety.
IMG_4410.JPG (344.49 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
donaciano, donaciano, donaciano and 4 others liked this
By saltyop
oh damn that is so nice, kudos for the idea :D
that facehugger egg is muwah
By KategoricalKarnivore
Awesome. What a great idea for printing.
By nimbulan
Looks great! One of the local growers here has been using 3D printed net pots for his plants. Definitely nothing as fancy as you're using.

Is the plastic you're using UV-stable? I'd hate to see those disintegrate in the sun.
By donaciano
nimbulan wrote:Looks great! One of the local growers here has been using 3D printed net pots for his plants. Definitely nothing as fancy as you're using.

Is the plastic you're using UV-stable? I'd hate to see those disintegrate in the sun.
Great question! I'm using PLA which is bio based unlike ABS which is petroleum based... its biodegradable but not super quick.

It turns out the black plastic can absorb a lot of sunlight and eventually droop if it's around 90°F or so, that means my Darth Vader pot will have to stay indoors... the dark side of course. 8-)

https://www.protoparadigm.com/news-upda ... a-objects/
Here they examine a slug trap that's been through a year of abuse and looks fine. That's with one "wall" thickness of plastic, I usually go with .8mm when I want something to hold water. One wall will leak. They should definitely last several years.

Speaking of UV exposure... I picked up some glow in the dark plastic a week or two ago. :D
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2049003
You've inspired me!
By Jaws
Awesome work and as said the face hugger ace, just asking for an Alien flytrap for it.
By Big-Jack
Great 3D printing. The future is here. Nice healthy plants also.

A coat of plastic primer should help prevent UV damage. I do that with my styrofoam cups and they last for years.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!