FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
LOL, yes, we had a blizzard already a week or two ago between 70 degree days. Typical bipolar Colorado weather. I collected about 7 gallons of *white* snow, thank you very much. :lol:

I noticed last night that some of my seedlings, which have never been outside, seem to have a similar scent. Maybe it's old, stagnant water that smells like pee to me. Who knows.

Thanks for your input. I'll flush it and scrub the outside.... and only wear gloves when handling it just in case.
By Orit
Umm, so I put the plants back on the front porch today so they could enjoy full sun. All the ones that are still in their individual pots (and not planted together in the large styrofoam pot) are sitting on top of a giant styrofoam cooler lid just so I can move them all at once. A few of those were sitting inside a smaller clear plastic tray as I had taken turns tray watering them yesterday. This afternoon, I noticed that same urine smell when I went outside, and underneath that clear plastic tray was yellow liquid!

It is fall, and leaves are blowing around everywhere. Some of the yellow leaves had landed in the cooler lid and a few were underneath the clear plastic tray (on top of the styrofoam). I believe they got wet from my watering and the leaves that were trapped under the plastic started rotting with the moisture in the sun.

That styrofoam planter (stained yellow yesterday) had also been sitting in a pile of fallen yellow leaves. I held a black light to the planter (pet urine should glow) and it was inconclusive as it seems neem oil and fly attractant also glow. The area in the cooler lid that had the yellow liquid today has never been sprayed with neem oil and did not glow.

So LSS I believe it's due to the fallen leaves and water, but I'm still not 100% convinced and will be keeping another motion-activated camera directly in front of the pots next time I leave them out front.

Also, as a.side note, if you have pets, do yourself a favor and do not hold a black light to your carpet. :shock:
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!