FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Rammplins
Hey everyone! Just letting everyone know about a new experiment i'm doing. I recently let my lilies go to seed this year, and I ended up with a ton of chaff (inviable seed) and thought, why waste all of this stuff If I can somehow use it. So far it has been washed in a hydrogen peroxide - water solution, and then rinsed twice, TDS came out at around 10. I plan on trying to grow 2 of each seed: vft, geranium, lily, and drosera seeds on it (not in the same pot) as the chaff is small and flat, and can hold water fairly well. I am also Using lfsm on the bottom of the pot for extra water retention and to stop the chaff from going everywhere. Plus if it doesn't work I just might end up with more lily plants from seeds I might have missed while I was sorting them. My only concern is for the vft and drosera, as I have no clue how long it takes lily chaff to break down, or how many minerals/nutrients they will release In the process. What do you guys think?
By Sakaaaaa
This should go interestingly. Here people use the burnt or unburnt "chaff" (as you americaneers call it) of rice to grow nepenthes, and some brave souls even grow sarrs in it. I predict it will work for the geranium and lily and maybe the drosera but not too likely.
By steve booth
To a large extent the PH of the mix will dictate the speed of the decomposition and hence nutrient release. If you can lower the PH with say the addition of sulphur to say 4.5 ish then they will retard the decomposition.
Cheers
Steve
By Rammplins
Nice, thank you steve! I also have high hopes for the geranium and lily, those are basically controls as the geranium can grow in just about anything and the lily is only slighlty pickier. I thought about getting some nep seed to try as well, but i still have 2 trays of nep seed that i have been patiently waiting to sprout for the past 2 months. Im guessing something went wrong, i want to make sure i can grow them normaly before i start experimenting with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!