FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By howspants
Hey guys. First Post here. Just got some flytrap and leafy sundew seeds. Iv got peat moss and perlite media. Now what is the best way to germinate these seeds? Just sit the seeds on the surface and keep the soil nice and moist in a well lit area like a window sill? Seal it in clingwrap for the extra humidity? I need your experts advice on the quickest and easiest way to germinate them. Thanks guys! :)
By JimsPlants
Id reccomend starting them under lights at this time of year if you have them as there isnt going to be much light around. Although i dont think they need huge amounts of light to germinate at first.

If your Putting them on peat a plastic bag will help, covering them for humidity.

But there is quicker and easier way of germinating them in pure water in a jar. Maybe 10 days.
I started some in this way 9 days ago, i havnt checked if there starting yet but im confident about it.

If you do have them on soil wrapped in a plastic bag make sure they dont get too much direct sunlight on it as they will get hot hot!"
By Matt
Hello and welcome to flytrapcare!
howspants wrote:Just sit the seeds on the surface and keep the soil nice and moist in a well lit area like a window sill? Seal it in clingwrap for the extra humidity?
Yep, you pretty much got it! Like Pat, I too would recommend using lights this time of year. However, I don't recommend the pure water germination in a glass jar. It's not that it won't work, it's just that it creates unnecessary work in my opinion and it really only buys you a few days. Given how slowly carnivorous plants grow anyway, a few days at the beginning of germination really don't amount to much in the long run.

If you keep the soil moist and the humidity high by sealing the pot with clingwrap or placing it in a ziplock bag (be sure to open it up every day or two to allow it to breath a bit) you should see germination in 10 to 15 days and you won't have to pick all of those seeds out of the jar.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
By JimsPlants
Matt wrote:However, I don't recommend the pure water germination in a glass jar. It's not that it won't work, it's just that it creates unnecessary work in my opinion and it really only buys you a few days
Yes it probally isnt easier as you will have to fish them all out and place them onto soil..so you may as well just start them where they will end up.
By nesler
I've been using a seedling tray I picked up at Home Depot a while back. It is kind of large though. A couple of pots will work great though. I would definitely use lights. I had my tray on the patio where it wasn't getting much besides ambient light, but it was nice and warm. Nothing happened. For weeks. It made me insane. I finally decided to throw it under a couple small lamps (just 60 watt equivalent CFL bulbs... something like 14 watts a piece), and then it took off within a couple days.
By kevinqwe
try doing the distilled water germination!! it is super fast and healthy.
By nesler
kevinqwe wrote:try doing the distilled water germination!! it is super fast and healthy.
It's interesting to try once, but I would NOT do it with drosera seeds. Sundews are far too small to fiddle with.
Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!