FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Nandi
My flytraps are in 7cm deep pots, and their roots are growing out of the pot through the draining holes. Should I repot them into a deeper pot? Btw. they are doing very well, growing very fast and developing gorgeous traps.
By Nick
They will always benefit from a deeper pot if you can provide one. Since it is right in the middle of the growing season, I would suggest trying to keep your current media intact and supplementing it with new media during the repot. Ideally, you will not see a setback if you keep it from being too disturbed.
By xr280xr
They can survive in a 7cm deep pot for a while, but it may stunt their growth. A deeper pot allows deeper roots, which makes them more hardy and easier to maintain in my opinion.
xr280xr liked this
By riveraXVX
you sorta answered your own question with a statement since the plant roots are growing out of the drainage holes, its time to size up IMHO! I second the trying to move it as one bundle with new materials in the new pot. the root system of fly traps grows up and down more so generally left and right so a taller narrow container will do good it will also retain more water/longer in a larger pot so minor adjustments to your watering style may be needed depending on how much larger!
By Fishkeeper
6 inches, 15cm, is considered to be the minimum. Flytraps really need a lot of space, they have very long roots.
By Gheryk
I bought a venus fly trap 2 weeks ago. It came in a 6cm , 2"1/2 inches pot.
Should I repot it now? Or will it be still good for the winter season?
Some of the heads are hanging out the pot.
By Fishkeeper
Definitely repot into a much larger pot, but gently. If the media around the plant's roots is in good shape and doesn't need to be removed, just place the entire mass in the new pot rather than cleaning the roots off. If the media looks like it's in bad shape, a full repot is in order.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!