FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Sparked
hello, so as you know my venus fly trap is reproducing and there are 3 big traps that our dying so I cut them off and dug a little hole into the soil and put then around the soil in those 3 holes. Is this the right thing to do? Cause I thought it would help some more traps grow. I also saw some dry rot near the bulb of the plant and I thought I was watering it too much so I'm slowing down the watering and I took all the dry rot I can find out of it. Someone please tell me I'm doing this right lol :lol: I'm also giving it more sunlight to start to dry the plant a little
By Fishkeeper
No, planting dying traps in the soil will not lead to more plants. A healthy leaf pulling placed on top of sphagnum moss may sprout a new plant, but not a dying one stuck in the dirt.

We definitely need photos.

How wet do you keep it?
What is it planted in?
What do you water with?
What is the lighting like?
Fishkeeper liked this
By Sparked
i planted it in spagnum peat moss with regular peat moss i water it with distilled water and its in my west window all the time and then I take it outside for about an hour everyday and I would send a picture but I'm new at this site would you mind telling me ;)?
By Fishkeeper
You'll need to take a digital photo of the plant, and then go to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket and upload the photo. You will then get a code that you can copy into a post on here to show the photo.

Plants hate being constantly moved. The plant needs to go outside and stay outside, it won't get enough sunlight indoors and the rot will get worse.

All peat moss is sphagnum peat moss, made of decaying sphagnum. "Peat" indicates that it has broken down into small pieces. If it's long strands of tan moss stuff, that's long-fiber sphagnum moss, which is not peat.

Is anything mixed into the substrate for drainage? Silica sand, perlite?

How wet do you keep the substrate?
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!