FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Shelilla
Hi, I'm preparing to grow a new bunch of seeds and I've been doing lots of research to try to find the best possible conditions I can provide them with.

I happened to find this place selling the exact sand I wanted and it was nearby, so two positives! But before making a move towards buying it I wanted to make sure that this sand will be alright for my CPs since I'm not too familiar as a newer grower which exact chemicals in a certain amount can be harmful towards them...maybe getting some senpai's approval will help me out XD

How does this look? http://www.targetproducts.com/UserConte ... silsnd.pdf
By Shadowtski
Looks good.

The levels of the trace elements look great.

I would buy a bag of the coarsest sand, #12 sieved. I would pour some sand into a bowl and rinse it with a little distilled water. Then, pour some vinegar into it. If it doesn't bubble like a Mentos reaction, then you're good to go. There don't seem to be a lot of alkaline compounds in it, according to the list. But better safe than sorry.

That's my two cents worth.

By the way, how much is a 50 pound bag of it?

Good growing,
Mike
By Shelilla
Shadowtski wrote:Looks good.

I would buy a bag of the coarsest sand, #12 sieved. I would pour some sand into a bowl and rinse it with a little distilled water. Then, pour some vinegar into it. If it doesn't bubble like a Mentos reaction, then you're good to go. There don't seem to be a lot of alkaline compounds in it, according to the list. But better safe than sorry.

Good growing,
Mike
Oh that's great, thanks for the advice!
Hm I'm not sure, since they don't mention the prices on the site. I'm thinking of maybe emailing or calling them to find out and if they have it in stock. I'll let you know when I find out :)
By Shelilla
Shadowtski wrote:Looks good.

Good growing,
Mike
Okay I FINALLY managed to call them and actually have the phone answered. Seems it's around $11 for any size, the person said, starting from 50-lb bags.
Also, prior to this I did get through to the brand (Lane Mountain) company, and I was able to ask for locations where they sold it. It seems Lane Mountain silica sand is located in the US, but seeing as it's being sold in Canada too (under Target Products, which is actually like the Canadian branch for Quikrete) it's very possible that it could be sold where you live too!
All I had to do to find out was call (509) 937-2221 and ask for their distributors in Calgary and the person was very helpful. :) Hope I gave some good info!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!