FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By StSh
This has been a problem. I've probably been taking care of my VFT's well, even though I'm still a bit of a newbie to them. I used to have two- which one has propagated a littler one. But... Now rotting. 1 of my VFT has died in my worried attempts to try stop this weird rotting. I'm not sure what causes it. Or how to stop it. I've just noticed that my other adult one has started this too, a few weeks after it started to flower.

(Tissue is on the dirt so you can see the rotting better. Blurry because there wasn't really enough lighting.)

How do you stop it? How does it happen?
By KategoricalKarnivore
Did you dig this plant up for the picture or is it planted like that? Because if it's like that the plant should be deeper in the soil. I'm no expert but I would say everything below the black line I drew should be below the soil.
Attachments:
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG (231.19 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
By StSh
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Did you dig this plant up for the picture or is it planted like that? Because if it's like that the plant should be deeper in the soil. I'm no expert but I would say everything below the black line I drew should be below the soil.
I pulled away the peat when I discovered it, thank you for asking that though.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Ok that's good. If you could give more details on your growing conditions it may help the diagnosis. Temps, watering schedule, grown inside or outside, your location, etc... And also maybe a picture of the entire plant. The leaves may give some indication of the problem.
By StSh
At times I may have over watered it lightly. Just rain water I've been using. Most of the time I've had it in a green house with my other plants. My location isn't actually that tropical. (New zealand.) I've realized I've been watering a bit too much when grey mold started to grow around the edges, which I quickly stomped that habit.

The VFT was quite healthy, new roots growing and a flower stalk over head. I'm just wondering what's going wrong.

My finger is pointing to the site of rotting under the small branch there.

By KategoricalKarnivore
It's hard to tell from that pic but it looks like just normal dying of old leaves. You have nice healthy new leaves forming. Maybe I just can't see what you are referring to.
By uusa2000
Just pull them old leaves off and propagate them

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By Branmuffin
It's normal for older leaves to die, and they will die all the way back to the rhizome, but the rhizome should grow faster than it is dying. I don't think it is rot, it is just leaves that have expired.
By StSh
Branmuffin wrote:It's normal for older leaves to die, and they will die all the way back to the rhizome, but the rhizome should grow faster than it is dying. I don't think it is rot, it is just leaves that have expired.
It's happened before to my other VFT. To the point where I opened it up and the 'rot' was going straight through it. It's not black like normal leaves. It's a light brown. I'm immensely scared for my plant, since its life depends on what's going on in this thread... I'm sure of that.

There's also a giant gap between the rhizome and the leaves. Is it splitting rhizomes? But even then, in that gap is also some mold I found- even though I scraped it off a little.

Even though this isn't a good shot. I'm sure it shows the 'rotting' in the plant itself. The cut off stalk there is a flower stalk that was from a few weeks ago.

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!