FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By corky
In a large plastic tray outside with either a bit of water in the bottom or submerged depending on how much its rained and in good direct sunImageImage its local sphagnum so I suppose it does better than imported tropical forms and only ever rain water for mine, no peat base in these just pure sphagnum
corky liked this
By erikHIplants
corky wrote:In a large plastic tray outside with either a bit of water in the bottom or submerged depending on how much its rained and in good direct sunImageImage its local sphagnum so I suppose it does better than imported tropical forms and only ever rain water for mine, no peat base in these just pure sphagnum
They look great!

I started some I got in the mail yesterday.
Attachments:
IMG_6744.JPG
IMG_6744.JPG (543.64 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
By Aozora
corky wrote:In a large plastic tray outside with either a bit of water in the bottom or submerged depending on how much its rained and in good direct sunImageImage its local sphagnum so I suppose it does better than imported tropical forms and only ever rain water for mine, no peat base in these just pure sphagnum
how do u manage to grow your sphagnum the way it did in the bottom picture? im also growing some but mine has these big holes where no new heads grow. mine looks more like the middle tray from the first picture.

also the sphagnum from the first and second picture seem to be different species?
By corky
All of the sphagnum was from the same batch I got off a localish seller on ebay, there could well be different species, I don't know. Pretty sure the middle tray in the top pic only looks different because its been grown more submerged, its the only difference I can think of. The bottom pic I think looks so pillow like because it hasn't been touched and I harvest the trays for my potting up needs, it also never gets submerged and seems to grow more cushion like, it went from a half full tray to that lush cushion in about twelve months or less ...edit..just found this pic of the darlingtonia tray seven months before that other pic was taken, you can see tray was only half full Image but they are from 2015 and the moss hasn't changed in a year so I guess its maxed out in size for its container
By nimbulan
This is a species of Sphagnum that grows here in Oregon (mostly up in the mountains) so I'm sure it can handle a couple days frozen in ice.

On a more serious note, I would avoid keeping Sphagnum submerged. In my experience the parts that are frequently underwater tend to die. I pour water out of my Sphagnum pot frequently during the rainy season to keep it healthy.
By Aozora
after seeing this post i decided to put some foil on over the tray to keep the humidity high. the humidity it almost 100% now and they have grown more in 3 days then they did in 3 months :o
By erikHIplants
nimbulan wrote:This is a species of Sphagnum that grows here in Oregon (mostly up in the mountains) so I'm sure it can handle a couple days frozen in ice.

On a more serious note, I would avoid keeping Sphagnum submerged. In my experience the parts that are frequently underwater tend to die. I pour water out of my Sphagnum pot frequently during the rainy season to keep it healthy.
I noticed this. I now keep it humid with less than a cm of water in the bin.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!