FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Alex2893 wrote:I would imagine fondue would be in the alien price category if you sold it on the store due to the rarity.
Perhaps, but I probably wouldn't price it that high. I guess the pricing in the store is somewhat subjective based on how highly we value the plants, in addition to being driven by supply/demand. Fondue is a cool plant and certainly very limited in availability in the US, but I find Alien far cooler, both in terms of looks and vigor. Additionally, I think the demand for Alien is likely quite a bit higher.

I'd probably price Fondue in the $40-$45 range to start.
By Alex2893
Matt wrote:
Alex2893 wrote:I would imagine fondue would be in the alien price category if you sold it on the store due to the rarity.
Perhaps, but I probably wouldn't price it that high. I guess the pricing in the store is somewhat subjective based on how highly we value the plants, in addition to being driven by supply/demand. Fondue is a cool plant and certainly very limited in availability in the US, but I find Alien far cooler, both in terms of looks and vigor. Additionally, I think the demand for Alien is likely quite a bit higher.

:D :D :D here's to hoping it flowers so we can get it in tc :) Can you take a leaf pulling and put it in tc?
By Alex2893
Alex2893 wrote:
Matt wrote:

:D :D :D here's to hoping it flowers so we can get it in tc :) Can you take a leaf pulling and put it in tc?

no doubt Alien is a beast of a plant. here is mine

Image20160703_093827 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
By xr280xr
Fondue looks awesome, but those 3 little cilia and the name fondue kind of gross me out! ;P
By Matt
Alex2893 wrote:Can you take a leaf pulling and put it in tc?
I've done that with quite a few flytraps now and I could try that next year, but the growth habit of Fondue doesn't really provide for very good leaves to work with.
By xr280xr
Benurmanii wrote:Missed the deadline too, here's mine
That's awesome! Which species are those? Hollyhock's guessing game thread has taught me to know better than to venture a guess.
xr280xr liked this
By katya_dog1
Matt, I was wondering, why do you have plants listed in the international section of the store (admittedly out of stock) that you don't sell in the US store? Things like Jaws Smiley, Umgekremplet (an absolutely wicked looking plant), and Pinnacle? All those look like they'd be very good sellers, have you just not gotten cultures potted out yet? I don't check the international store often, perhaps they're very recent and I just missed them.
By Matt
katya_dog1 wrote:Matt, I was wondering, why do you have plants listed in the international section of the store (admittedly out of stock) that you don't sell in the US store?
Anything listed in the International store are plants that I had in tissue culture at one point or another. Some of them, I don't think are worth offering the US (such as Pinnacle, which is a poor grower for us and unremarkable in any way I can see). Others just haven't done well in TC (like Jaws Smiley) and we don't have many or any that were successfully hardened off.

And others (like Umgekrempelt) we just got in TC last year and haven't hardened off and grown plants to the point where they are sale ready yet, but should have some this year or next year.
By Bristol
Matt wrote: Others just haven't done well in TC (like Jaws Smiley) and we don't have many or any that were successfully hardened off.
"Harden-off" Matt could yo kindly please explain what "harden-off means in relation to these plants? I read the term used everywhere even abroad in Europe.

Yeah I agree with you, why sell plants that don't do well in US "at all." To add to that some plants do well in Green House but do poorly outdoors depending what zone your in. Red Dragon, Royal Red, Maroon Monster are the only red clones that do well here in SoCal, Zone 10, out doors. I tried growing other reds and they just tank with-in weeks, most just get fried by the sun...my experience growing VFT reds. I went through hoops getting some Euro Clones here to me just to watch them die. Its murder!..and frustrating watching them die over and over again before I just come to the realization not to grow the ones that do poorly outdoors, zone 10.
By Matt
Bristol wrote:"Harden-off" Matt could yo kindly please explain what "harden-off means in relation to these plants? I read the term used everywhere even abroad in Europe.
In this context, I'm talking about taking a plant of out of a tissue culture vessel and acclimating it to growing in soil with ambient humidity and stronger light levels (first, strong artificial lighting, then greenhouse light, then full sun).

The transition can be challenging and plants can die quickly if it's not done properly. And some varieties just don't make the transition well at all.
By Wahter
VigorousFlyTrap wrote:
Alex2893 wrote:
OMG what in the world is that Fondue trap. I WANT IT !!! That is wicked :o
Its a cultivar that tends to grow traps that look like they have melted!
Yes it's a pretty rare cultivar atm
And of course who wouldn't want such a freaky little thing Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Here's the "Fondue" that I have. :D Produces truly weird looking traps.

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!