FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jesseliu13
hi, i had bought a red ryu venus flytrap from amazon last year. it was in quite bad shape and in a sickly condition when i got it, but after some decent care i finally got it growing decently again. but there is one thing that seems to bother me. my venus fly trap was label a ryu flytrap. when i had bought it it was red at most parts. as it aged it seems that the redness has gone away and turned green again. is there somethign wrong with what im doing? why is my plant no longer red?
By Matt
If it's truly an Akai Ryu, then it's likely not receiving enough sunlight if it's not staying red. Right now our Akai Ryu flytraps are deep purple in coloration, but they're still receiving full, direct sunlight all day.
By jesseliu13
how do i know if my plant is truly an akai ryu? it was red before... and its near a window which gets more than 6 hours of sun... its was outside for the winter but now its indoors since its quite cold.. i plan on winterizing it by the end of december.
By bvalente
jesseliu13 wrote:how do i know if my plant is truly an akai ryu? it was red before... and its near a window which gets more than 6 hours of sun... its was outside for the winter but now its indoors since its quite cold.. i plan on winterizing it by the end of december.
Right now VFT in the USA should be going dormant, odds are most red varieties will be losing some of their red color. This is especially true with Akai Ryu. Once the growing season is back around, place it outside if possible, red varieties need more light to sustain being red. If it is getting strong direct sunlight for more than 6+ hours a day and it is still not red, I would say it was mislabelled.

Aka Ryu, in my opinion, is a very poor red cultivar. You should look into getting a FTS Maroon Monster, beautiful growth and can get pretty big. They get very deep red too :D
Nepenthes Repotting

Hi! :D I’ve got a Nepenthes in a 4” […]

LazyDaisy's Grow List

Dionaea muscipula Typical (Rocket Farms) Ty[…]

Ahhh, it's just Yogi looking for BooBoo.

McCWells Grow List

Update : Sarracenia Hybrid #3 - American Pitcher […]

Evolving plants!

Plants evolving into CPs... My water lettuce kille[…]

howdy!

Welcome

Water Quality

I use these test strips https://www.amazon.com[…]

Since they have shallow roots, I just use a plas[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!